Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

The best arguement against it was overheating (and the wheezing sound my lungs would be making scaring off the deer). I have imitated the cadance of a squirrel. Three quick steps on my toes, stop, three steps. Seems to work. I don't always do it but helps when I have to quickly get through an area with lots of dry leaves. I find I'm more successful just being EXTRA SLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWW. I make no more noise than a bird rustling in the leaves.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM

How many times have you walked in real slow and quiet(or ran if that's what you're into), thinking you were doing everything right, only to bonk your bow against your climbing stick or treestand while pulling it up???

I think that if you are walking on leaves within earshot of deer, there is very lttle you can do to fool them.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I get poked in the eye almost every day just walking in the woods,if I ran to my stand I would be able to see all day,then I would have to sound shoot
Old 11-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote

How many times have you walked in real slow and quiet(or ran if that's what you're into), thinking you were doing everything right, only to bonk your bow against your climbing stick or treestand while pulling it up???
I here ya same thing here, I can`t count the times that has happened? But then again i would hate to know what it would sound like if i were to take off running threw the woods before daylight with my climbing stand of my back thick cloths on to stay warm carrying my bow with other hand get to the place i want to hunt out breath sweating? Wow! you know come to think aboutDon`t sound much like fun to me? I think i will just stick to walking in quietly has i can and take my chance`s
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Then you'll never know, will ya?

Jeff
Old 11-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Then you'll never know, will ya?

Jeff
No i guess not
Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've walked within 10 yards of bedded mature bucks before they knew I was there (or I knew they were there too ).
Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an old tip from Field & Stream: Tie a stick to yourbelt loop when walking in. Let it drag when you're walking ot your stand. It helps cover the pattern of your walking. I remember reading that back in the 80's, I have tried it but can't answer if it was a good or bad thing. It's just one of those things that have always stuck out in my mind.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Go read Joe's book. He ran in and killed a Booner. To each his own.

I honestly was SO frustrated the morning I did it....It was either that or go home. i figured I couldn't bump any more if I'd brought a boom box with me and a KISS CD.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Go read Joe's book. He ran in and killed a Booner. To each his own.

I honestly was SO frustrated the morning I did it....It was either that or go home. i figured I couldn't bump any more if I'd brought a boom box with me and a KISS CD.
(lmao) Good one jeff!
I would have just walked on back to the truck and sead to h*ll with it[:'(]

[/quote]

Quick Reply: Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.