Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

Old 11-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

ORIGINAL: The_1_That_Got_Away

I will take 2-4 fast steps at a time and then stop for 30 seconds, and look around really hard, and then repeat.

I think it's better than trying to be quiet.
You must hunt awful close to the truck. If not it would take you half a day to get to your stand.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can tell it's getting into the late season around here.

There's a couple inherent problems with running to your stand. You'll never sound like a deer (impossible with just two legs), it'll get you boiling hot, especially after climbing into the stand which is going to dump tons of unnecessary odor into the woods, and three, running in a woods can lead to tripping (big hunting boots, not streamlined tennies), which could lead to breaking something - bow, leg, arm, etc.

Best approach: Walk like a deer, as pointed out already. A few steps, stop, few more, stop.... You'll know you've succeeded in sounding like a deer when either A.) the doves fly when you are nearly at the base of your tree, or B.) the deer that are already on their feet don't flee until you are almost on top of them. Works every time.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Dude, I'm 50. Running is out of the question. But if I eat enough Raisen Bran, I can make some hellacious grunting sounds all the way to my stand![:-]
lol ....nice

Old 11-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Best approach: Walk like a deer, as pointed out already. A few steps, stop, few more, stop....
Ever seen a coyote in the woods? Walks JUST LIKE that.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Spike

"You must hunt awful close to the truck. If not it would take you half a day to get to your stand."

It's only about a 20 acre plot, 10 of it huntable. It's about a 300 yard walk total. But it's a good spot, it's worth taking 45 minutes to get in there.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ever seen a coyote in the woods? Walks JUST LIKE that.
Nearly every yote' I've seen walks much quieter than a deer and doesn't stop like one either. Must be these MI yotes.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think its a bad idea....You want to run to the stand to sound like a deer??? Sure hope no poachers are around...might get shot at...I have several areas that I hunt near cutovers...On evening hunts, I get in early...2-3 hours before dark...This gives you enough time to go in slowly and quietly and it helps the deer forget about you...Like has been mentioned, take your time and stop every few steps...If you spook them, back off 50 yards or so...

Another idea that I have tried in the past...Go to your stand with a leaf blower...Blow a path that goes 200 yards away, walk the path...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

This year I tried smething new,I raked the path I would take the day before opener.I figured it would not only quiet things down but help stay on the right path to the stand in the dark.Half way through the first day the wind had blown all the leaves back but it worked for that morning.I dont think I would put the effort into that again
Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I am way to fat to try running to my stand. I am lucky if I don't have to sit and take a break half way there. I have however crawled out of my stand when my appendix(SP) burst. I didn't see any deer on the way out so I don't think it was a good tactic
Old 11-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Guys......It's just hard for me to tell you all how my deer are. I CAN'T take a leaf blower into this spot.....without blowing out every deer in my herd. At this time of year.....I'm hunting that close to their bed.

What I WOULD like to do......is get a rake attachment for my 4 wheeler to rake a path.......BUT......I couldn't even get the 4 wheeler close enough for this to be effective.

I have a LOT of deer in my herd. I saw 69 over Thanksgiving.......and Rob/PA and I saw that many in ONE DAY when he was here.

Joe Borooks Resume'(at least visually) is nothing to sneeze at. He makes the contention that a person running sounds like a FEW deer running through the woods. I've seen deer running through the woods and have watched other deer never move (like.....say....Friday afternoon). I think THAT's where he was headed. And...who am I to argue with his success? He didn't say it was THE tactic to get to your stand......he said it was "A" tactic.

I've actually done it.....and I saw deer, that day. I've not done it.....and seen deer, too. I've utilized all the other methods mentioned and seen and NOT seen deer.....so how do you know it DOESN'T work unless you've ACTUALLY tried it??

I brushed leaves around with a stick entering my stand site and illed a deer, this year. I walked in rather quietly.....all the way to stand, Saturday......then realized I left my release at camp. I trudged back to the 4 wheeler (at a friend's camp).....rode it back to camp.......trudged back to my stand where I was BOWhunting....and everyone else was gunhunting.....and killed a nice 2-1/2 yr old buck.

We can do many things to help aid us in our quests......but this is NOT rocket science. I've learned that, too.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.