Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

I do leave three tracks when I walk in the snow come to think of it.
club foot??????
Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer run when they are spooked or playing.Running to your stand is likely not the wisest thing to do for a variety of reasons.Trying to sound like a deer that is walking(two or three steps and stopping)or turkeys with some scratching is a better idea.To add some realism you could do one of the otherof these and add a soft grunt or bleat while you are doing it or soft clucking on a turkey call.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

The article said it worked for him
I'm curious as to how he determined it worked for him. He didnt' spook any deer (that he knew of) or he successfully got to his stand faster than Carl Lewis could have.

Will this method work just as well going through a winter wheat field?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:48 AM

This doesn't sound like a safe way to hunt. But i have walked really fast for 15 to 20 yards and stop for a few minutes to look and listen I walker up on 5 deeryesterday like this and they never paid anymind to me. The leaves were really loud and crunchy this whole week but i have noticed if you try and sneak deer can pickthat noise up very easy but don'tseem to mind if you walk fast..
ORIGINAL: tsoc

Deer run when they are spooked or playing.Running to your stand is likely not the wisest thing to do for a variety of reasons.Trying to sound like a deer that is walking(two or three steps and stopping)or turkeys with some scratching is a better idea.To add some realism you could do one of the otherof these and add a soft grunt or bleat while you are doing it or soft clucking on a turkey call.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Run through the woods so as not to spook the deer? Hmmm, thats the worst idea i`ve ever heard,for another thing it`s not safe for you or your bow,I carry antlers.Not if but when he falls he`ll probobly break open his doe pee in his pocket,and if he gets knocked out he could wake up pregnant
Old 11-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Well.....confession time:

I've done it....once. I also have a book that Germ suggested I read (Jo Brooks - Year Round Monster Whitetails) where Joe suggests it, too. I bumped probably 10-12 deer going in one morning......and then just took off running. I stopped at about 75 yds to see if I heard anything else running. Nothing. I stopped when I got to my lock on. Nothing.

Now....maybe I had already bumped everything that was there.....but knowing where I hunt....I doubt it. Why wouldn't it work? Deer hear dogs all the time.....they don't spook (in my area). What they DON'T hear a lot....is someone taking a few steps and pausing (that sounds JUST LIKE A PREDATOR). I think that methodology is ludicrous. the leaves were REALLY crunchy and loud on the way in the other day......so I took a stick and scratched around as I walked.....to cover the sound of my steps.....and to mimick a squirrel. Can't say as it worked, or not....but I shot a nice doe, that day.

This can NEVER be proven.....but ANYTHING that masks sounding like a human WALKING or CREEPING through the woods.....I'll do. My deer know what they'll tolerate.....and what they won't.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have used my post as an example,so please tell me what is unsafe about the suggestions I made?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have run FROM the stand when the coffee and biscuits and gravy finally hit bottom.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Spike

I hunt a couple of spots that are close to bedding areas and are really easy to spook the deer. After a few times of trying to be Mr. Stealth and blowing the deer out anyway, I started doing something different.

As long as the wind is in my favor, I like to try to "sound like a deer" on my approach. I will take 2-4 fast steps at a time and then stop for 30 seconds, and look around really hard, and then repeat. I have snuck up on deer doing this. When you're in your stand some day, listen to how the does move around in the woods and emulate it as best you can.

I think it's better than trying to be quiet.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats exactly what I was referring to! I walk up on deer all the time doing this.

Quick Reply: Running to your stand... sounds like deer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.