Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best expandable broadhead in you opinion

Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best expandable broadhead in you opinion

I agree with Rob. At 56# there is not a good expandable. If you are wanting a B/h that flies like your field tips you need a well tuned bow. However, give one of these heads a try I have found them to be a little more forgiving than some of the bulkier fixed blade heads. Slick Tricks, sonics, or Wasp boss bullets. I have had good experiences with all the above and they all fly great. Hope this helps but I would def. stay away from the expandables at you 56# pull.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

NAP spitfire is my choice. I have used them for years and love the way they perform.
I am shooting a 70 lb. bow and i'm sure that makes a difference.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

do you think my bow can shoot the snypers, ive had trouble with regular broadheads shooting diffrently than the feild tips, and these seem like they shoot the exact same, i use montec g5s and everyone says they shoot thesame but itsdefinitley diffrent with me
Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 AM

Sounds to me like your bow may just be out of tune. Do the G5's group well?

If you are attempting to use the mechanicals because the fixed blade heads don't hold groups you are taking a band aid approach to solving the problem IMO.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

my feild tips group 4 inches below the g5s from 20 30 and 40 yards,
also some of them make noise when you shoot, and some dont.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:43 AM

Do they hold a group or are the arrows sprayed around the target? As far as the noise, have you checked to make sure the vanes are securley glued in place? A flopping vane will make some noise.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I have had noise and inacuracy problems with rubber band systems as well,when I ran out of rubber bands I used what ever kind of rubber band I could find to secure the broadhead until contact and there were noticable differances from the sound of one band to the next.That was a gander mt. brand that didnt sell replacement bands.This is why I switched to spitfires and there is no more noise durring flight than a field tip.Whichever brand you choose don`t go cheap,get a good expandable that does`nt require binders an bypass many problems.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

do you think my bow can shoot the snypers, ive had trouble with regular broadheads shooting diffrently than the feild tips, and these seem like they shoot the exact same, i use montec g5s and everyone says they shoot thesame but itsdefinitley diffrent with me
NO, I've seen one case where Snypers did not shoot the same a field points and I know this bow was tuned to perfection. It was grouping Muzzy's with field pionts however, Snypers were off.

Never shoot a mechanical for a fix all of a badly tuned setup, your asking for trouble immediately.

Never assume a broadhead, fixed or not, will fly the same as your field tips inspite of all the reports, figure on ruining one just to test them out of your bow.

This year I have Muzzy's, field tips, Sonics and Snypers all flying together, next year I will still test fire them again prior to hunting regardless of where my field points are hitting and how well my bow is tuned. I still want that garuantee.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

100 grain NAP spitfires without a doubt.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I would stay with fixed blades with 56#. My choice of expandable is the 100gr Steelhead from Rocket Aerohead (now owned by someone else). I have shot my last dozen or so buck with this broadhead (pull 70#) and have good pass throughs and good blood to follow when needed. Again, good shot selection plays a role.

Quick Reply: best expandable broadhead in you opinion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.