Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Staying alert on stand...

Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Staying alert on stand...

OK, after this past weekend, I am CONVINCED I have had deer pass by in bow range that I've never even seen. Take Sunday morning.....I look up and BLAMMO!! There are 3 does standing not 30 yards in front of me. I'm hunting a creek bottom and it's not like I have bad visibility. It's like they parachuted in and just dropped there.

I get lulled into such serenity that I tend to get "tunnel vision" and don't look around much. Well, that's not actually the case, I look around a lot, but I'm not really....LOOKING, if you know what I mean.

So how do ya'll do it? How do you stay alert on stand?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Staying alert on stand...

listen for footsteps and snorts or grunts! About 3-4 weeks ago a huge 7 or 8 pt busted
me in my stand. the way you describe it it sounds like where i hunt!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually doze a little in the first hour when I go out in the evening, but the last 1 1/2 hour of the evening I get so wired I'm listening and looking so hard I hardly ever get surprised. If it's wet, though they can walk up on you pretty easy if you're looking the other way and can't hear very good.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Its tough especially when putting in the big hours. On days its loud in the woods with leaves crunching I play yahtzee. On the quiet days I'm sure I've had deer walk by but I think thats part of the whole experience sometimes its ok to get tunnel vision and just get away from it all. Besides if that monster walks by and you never see him you have nothing to feel bad about because it was like the experience never happened. I don't think even the best hunters in the world are on the edge of their seats all the time I'm sure they succomb to boredom or lack of focus its all part of the game besides those pros have an extra set of eyes the cameraman!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM

They can be so quiet on their feet, it's truly amazing. I'm sure most of us have had deer within 50 yds and not known it. As long as you see them when it counts its fine with me...What you don't know can't hurt you.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Sometimes I read a book while in stand. It allows me to concentrate more on smaller noises and it also allows me to be still. I'm still ALERT b/c I constantly look up and check out my surroundings.

Those darn deer are unbelievably quiet sometimes. I am sure that creek doesn't help you out much. I love and hate hunting creek bottoms, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 PM

I just keep in mind that there is always something going on out there that can help me in my hunt. It keeps me occupied looking and I am always ready.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure all of us had deer pass without notice. To pass timeI picture over and over the scenario of the deer coming to my stand and thinking about the shot. It's like practice, sometimes when you have hunted several days in a row and early mornings catch up to youit's tough to keep focused without dosing off. But I am constantly listening and looking for that crack or them leaves shuffling that tail or ear flicker, sometimes it's just that horizontal line in the distance that turns out to be the back of a deer. That is if I am not being hassled by red,gray, and fox squirrels. Or the hawk dive bombing the squirrels, or the weasel I often see roaming the downfall. Oh lets not forget the flock of turkeys making enough noise you can hear them coming 100 yards away.

For some of us maybe its the black capped chickadee that lands on the branch next to you and a few times right on my hat or bow. They tilt their little head looking at you without fear.

And the coolest is the bald eagles we have on the lake where I hunt screeching at dusk.

There is notone single hunt that I can say I do not take something away from it. Think of the things we actually see or hear in the woods that the majority of people will never see or hear. WhooHooo you got to love it! Thats what keeps me alert on stand.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell, I slept in my stand yesterday from 7:30 till around 8:45 and when I woke up there was a buck in the field. I shot him and was back at camp drinking coffee by 9:15. [8D]

I snooze a lot in the stand, probably more than I should. Just can't help it, but I guess it's better than sleeping in at the cabin. I have woke up at least 3x this season to deer that were close enough to shoot.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guess it's safe to say that you don't snore very loudly then, huh? Either that, or you do -- and they're coming in to the tending grunts!

Quick Reply: Staying alert on stand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.