Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Staying alert on stand...

Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Staying alert on stand...

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Hey Duc, speaking of pics, if mobow takes a book to stand with him it may have to be a picture book!Maybe Bambi so he will at least see some deer![8D]LOL!
LOL....you said it not me.

Do they make pocket size deer hunting games? That would also be ideal.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is normal, but could very well be wrong. I have also noticed that when I am not looking through my binoculars deer just appear in very close range. We are taught to not move too much, and grow tired of turning your head to find another or the same squirrel making noise. No right answer really. Turn and look at every noise = moving too much. Not looking at every noise = taking change at not seeing deer walk by.

I have found that looking through binoculars helps a lot. The dense parts of the woods become a lot clearer for you to see in. I try to do a complete scan of the area with the naked eye, and then the thick parts with the binoculars.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Rick--

Pictures man, where are the pictures of the buck?

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Hell, I slept in my stand yesterday from 7:30 till around 8:45 and when I woke up there was a buck in the field. I shot him and was back at camp drinking coffee by 9:15. [8D]

I snooze a lot in the stand, probably more than I should. Just can't help it, but I guess it's better than sleeping in at the cabin. I have woke up at least 3x this season to deer that were close enough to shoot.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Site Buck Guru

I snooze a lot in the stand, probably more than I should. Just can't help it, but I guess it's better than sleeping in at the cabin. I have woke up at least 3x this season to deer that were close enough to shoot.
I wonder how many have gotten by you while you were sleeping?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who sleeps on the stand. I wake up when I hear something like footsteps, leaves crackling, squirrels barking, or crows cawing. I probably miss some deer, but you know what, as I get older, the less it matters.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

I wonder how many have gotten by you while you were sleeping?
I sleep alot on stand too, To me it's part of enjoying my treestand, especially one a warm sunny day and I can tell you this. I've never seen a buck walk by me while I was sleeping, ever.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Rick--

Pictures man, where are the pictures of the buck?
I am hesitant to post it because of the recent gun hunter bashing but here he is. Not a trophy in a lot of guys eyes but he sure will taste good and he was 3.5 y/o. [8D]

Old 11-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Spike

Grisslyman right back at you, maybe as we get older the harvesting part isn't as important as it use to be. Don't get me wrong, I still like coming home with something in the truck. Even though my eyes are closed I think I react to the slightest crunch. One thing I have always thought when it seems like a deer just popped out of no where. Is that the deer may have been there all along but was bedded down.
I will also stay awake by imagining different scenerios. Try some isometrics but keep the movement to a minimum. When all else fails.........nap!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you guys about sleeping in the woods. I sometimes snooze in my stand. I prefer to sleep in my tree saddle because its more comfortable and fall-proof. Even with a safety harness sleeping in a treestand is dangerous. I don't want to be waken up dangling in the air [:-]. I know alot of guys that climb down and nap at the base of their tree too.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Yes it's great how they just magically appear.

Quick Reply: Staying alert on stand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.