Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Staying alert on stand...

Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Staying alert on stand...

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Guess it's safe to say that you don't snore very loudly then, huh? Either that, or you do -- and they're coming in to the tending grunts!
Haha......the funny thing is the only time I snore is when I am sleeping in a sitting position exactly like I am when in a stand. I can only imagine how many deer have looked up to see what exactly that noise is in the tree and seen me there with my mouth open sucking in flys dead asleep. I have a good record of shooting bucks that came in when I was snoozing, so who knows maybe they like it? [8D]
Old 11-27-2006, 08:27 PM

Oh, I do my fair share of sleeping as well. That Summit is just too darn comfy!

But man, even when I am looking around it's like I'm not....I guess it's just looking at the same thing for hours on end, you get.....conditioned to it......I gotta do better though, that's all there is too it.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Oh, I do my fair share of sleeping as well. That Summit is just too darn comfy!

But man, even when I am looking around it's like I'm not....I guess it's just looking at the same thing for hours on end, you get.....conditioned to it......I gotta do better though, that's all there is too it.
I already told you once! Get a book! Any kind of book and see how it goes. It works for me.

BTW: I don't have to post pics...now do I Mobow?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:48 PM

duc my boy...yer startin to get under my skin.....we don't want that now, do we???

Besides, reading PUTS ME TO SLEEP!!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM

Sorry about that master.

Well, that might work too. Rick James seems to have had success with that.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I get too relaxed I force myself to stand up for a while. I try to alternate every 45 minutes or so between standing and sitting.

I'm much more alert when standing.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:49 AM

It's tough at times for sure. For me, I stand as much as possible and only sit when I have to. I'm more alert when standing, plus it's easier to look around than from a sitting position. Too much sitting leads to sleepy hunters especially when the action is slow.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

No doze or similarand nothing gets by me. No jitters, I just eat up detail. It works!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tribal

I am sure all of us had deer pass without notice. To pass timeI picture over and over the scenario of the deer coming to my stand and thinking about the shot. It's like practice, sometimes when you have hunted several days in a row and early mornings catch up to youit's tough to keep focused without dosing off. But I am constantly listening and looking for that crack or them leaves shuffling that tail or ear flicker, sometimes it's just that horizontal line in the distance that turns out to be the back of a deer. That is if I am not being hassled by red,gray, and fox squirrels. Or the hawk dive bombing the squirrels, or the weasel I often see roaming the downfall. Oh lets not forget the flock of turkeys making enough noise you can hear them coming 100 yards away.

For some of us maybe its the black capped chickadee that lands on the branch next to you and a few times right on my hat or bow. They tilt their little head looking at you without fear.

And the coolest is the bald eagles we have on the lake where I hunt screeching at dusk.

There is notone single hunt that I can say I do not take something away from it. Think of the things we actually see or hear in the woods that the majority of people will never see or hear. WhooHooo you got to love it! Thats what keeps me alert on stand.
Well put Tribal. That's how I would sum up this fall's hunt!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Duc, speaking of pics, if mobow takes a book to stand with him it may have to be a picture book!Maybe Bambi so he will at least see some deer![8D]LOL!

Quick Reply: Staying alert on stand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.