Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trophy Hunting?

Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Trophy Hunting?

Motown, it definitely can take the fun out of hunting if you get so wrapped up in one buck. I've done the same thing in years past and have changed my outlook and attitude somewhat.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I started hunting deer in 2005 in mid October. I took one shot at a doe in the late season of '05.

So far, this year.....I've taken 4 deer with my bow. I'll likely take another. I don't know now whether or not I'll enter the HNI buck contest next year. I'll be a different hunter, next year. Like HCH....I don't think I'll ever shoot another buck I'm not going to mount. I shot one Saturday......extenuating circumstances......but I don't regret it one bit (and I won't have that one mounted). I think he was the last one that I'll ever shoot that doesn't go on the wall. That's my plan, anyway. I may not be a good teammate, next year.

I've got PLENTY of doe opportunities. I'll take them....because they need taking, here. I'll also take a buck that is RIGHT FOR ME. I second-guess EVERY kill. I wonder did I do right by GodAND that animal with its taking. It's a tough question I have to answer......but I respect these animals SO much. As long as I'm putting the meat to good use (I am)....and I show them the respect they deserve.....I sleep pretty good.

Hunting is VERY personal. The choice in the taking of a particular animal.....although it's sometimes made in a split-second.....is a tough one. I just hope I never regret my choices. I hope you don't regret yours. Only you know that answer, though. Good luck with your dilemma.

Jeff
SB, I couldn't agree more. You said exactly what I feel. To be a second year deer hunter you are way ahead of the game my friend.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is time for a new challenge. Maybe take a child hunting, stalking or hunt with a dog. I don't run deer with dogs, but this is the second season that I've been in the woods with my dog. He learned very quickly to track a downed deer, so we started stalking together. He's not a "hunting breed", he's an Australian Cattle Dog and just our family companion. But it sure is nice to take a break from trail watching, and it is a real challenge.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I started hunting deer in 2005 in mid October. I took one shot at a doe in the late season of '05.

So far, this year.....I've taken 4 deer with my bow. I'll likely take another. I don't know now whether or not I'll enter the HNI buck contest next year. I'll be a different hunter, next year. Like HCH....I don't think I'll ever shoot another buck I'm not going to mount. I shot one Saturday......extenuating circumstances......but I don't regret it one bit (and I won't have that one mounted). I think he was the last one that I'll ever shoot that doesn't go on the wall. That's my plan, anyway. I may not be a good teammate, next year.

I've got PLENTY of doe opportunities. I'll take them....because they need taking, here. I'll also take a buck that is RIGHT FOR ME. I second-guess EVERY kill. I wonder did I do right by GodAND that animal with its taking. It's a tough question I have to answer......but I respect these animals SO much. As long as I'm putting the meat to good use (I am)....and I show them the respect they deserve.....I sleep pretty good.

Hunting is VERY personal. The choice in the taking of a particular animal.....although it's sometimes made in a split-second.....is a tough one. I just hope I never regret my choices. I hope you don't regret yours. Only you know that answer, though. Good luck with your dilemma.

Jeff
SB, I couldn't agree more. You said exactly what I feel. To be a second year deer hunter you are way ahead of the game my friend.
I had the honor to share his house and his woods and he's right on the money and what you just wrote, I told him last weekend in person. Jeff gets it as do many and why I'd love to have many of you share my woods, others, not so much.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tell you what, you men are the best unknown friendsI have ever had. Wish I could meet and hunt with you all. I think Greg H nailed it for me when he talked about just being plain wore out. I appreaciate every one of your comments, even the harsh ones because you speak the truth. It was an awsome season with a ton of hours on stand and many deer sightings. I'm a better man and hunter from being part of this group. I'll get my grove back in a couple of weeks and get back out there for some fun doe and turkey hunting. Thanks again, Chris
Old 11-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Site Buck Guru

Thatis what I was hoping to hear. You'll be demanding it in no time!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I tell you what, you men are the best unknown friendsI have ever had. Wish I could meet and hunt with you all. I think Greg H nailed it for me when he talked about just being plain wore out. I appreaciate every one of your comments, even the harsh ones because you speak the truth. It was an awsome season with a ton of hours on stand and many deer sightings. I'm a better man and hunter from being part of this group. I'll get my grove back in a couple of weeks and get back out there for some fun doe and turkey hunting. Thanks again, Chris
I think even TDWW would respect that
Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Thatis what I was hoping to hear. You'll be demanding it in no time!
I didn't realize he had stopped demanding it!!!

He is welcome in my camp anytime although I think I would have more fun hunting in his camp!! I want to see the brutethat is busting up all his bucks. NOW that buck demands it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim