Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed Stand and Climber Setup and Exit

Old 11-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Banned

Default RE: Fixed Stand and Climber Setup and Exit

GregH, wow sorry to hear about your friend. To do it properly the treestand should probably be on the ground with a rope attached to it and pulled up once the sticks or steps are in place.I trust my safety line system and there is no way Ican fall unless theequipment fails. I feel it is more dangerous trying to carry a stand on a strap up a tree because your handsand bodyaren't free for climbing and thebulky awkwardness of a stand on a strapin my hands or on my shoulder hinders my ability to have total use of my hands. One could fall and impale himself on the corner of the stand too.
Man, you are tougher than me; those screw in steps are way too much work for my liking.
To each his own though; whatever works for you. I trust my safety equipment to keep me safe and the stand on my back while climbing is the safest, easiest, quietestwayI have tried or found.

BTW; HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

LT, I am so glad you asked for this. I use a couple different methods for getting up and into my stand (climbing stand or screw in steps orclimbing sticks with a hang-on stand) and I really think I am probably not doing things the quickest/most efficiently/safest way, so I really would like to see a video of this, too.

Thanks very much to those that have or will contribute their experience on this!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Louisiana Tomkat----I'll shoot it for you and with you. I own all the complete and necessary professional equipment and editing programs.
I also own a climbing stand,Lone Wolf climbing sticks & lock on stand, Tree Saddle, climbing spikes, screw in steps and could even make the trip as soon as the middle of next week to do it.
Let me know:
Pat Miller
[email protected]

Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 PM

Hey guys, and HCH for sure. If I am correct HCH, you said you take your stands out after each hunt and put them up before each hunt. If in the making of this video project, or just on your own, if someone could incorporate the placement of the ladder pieces or individual steps, and the hanging of the stand silently enough to immediately hunt out of , into the video or some type of teaching medium, I would be greatly appreciative.

And I am not singleing out HCH, anyone who puts up their equipment and removes it with each hunt is welcome to contribute.

I don't see how you can carry all that equipment in, walking into your hunting area,and hang it quietly enough to then hunt out of and be productive. I would love to know how.

Heck , If I am gun hunting out of one of my tower stands, I still make some noise, even when trying extra hard not to.

Thanks Guys.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

MichaelT: It's hard to be quiet, so I think the trick is to be as quiet as you can but get to your stand early enough to let things settle down before you hunt. I try to be in my stand at least 30 minutes before legal shooting light.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

Hey guys, and HCH for sure. If I am correct HCH, you said you take your stands out after each hunt and put them up before each hunt. If in the making of this video project, or just on your own, if someone could incorporate the placement of the ladder pieces or individual steps, and the hanging of the stand silently enough to immediately hunt out of , into the video or some type of teaching medium, I would be greatly appreciative.

And I am not singleing out HCH, anyone who puts up their equipment and removes it with each hunt is welcome to contribute.

I don't see how you can carry all that equipment in, walking into your hunting area,and hang it quietly enough to then hunt out of and be productive. I would love to know how.

Heck , If I am gun hunting out of one of my tower stands, I still make some noise, even when trying extra hard not to.

Thanks Guys.

This is very quiet to do. Quieter than my buddy's summit climber. My buck and Hoytgirls buck were both taken this year with same day setup. My buck was taken within a 1/2hour after hanging and when I grunted and bleated him in he must havebeen bedded or in the area not more than 100 yds from me.Hoytgirls buckwas takenwithin an hour and a half. There is nothing to get stolen by thieves, the stand doesn't get weathered and the straps don't get sunrotted and chewed on by squirrels, the deer don't get unto you from hunting the same stand location, and you get to hunt with how the wind is blowing for the day.

Ever noticed with a stand that the 1st day or two you hunt it and you see deer and than you just don't see many or any anymore? My type of mobile hunting is that way; I see deer almost all the time 'cause I am hunting a new setup each time with the wind in my favor and NEVER two days in the same spot.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Uhhhhhh

WHERE do you live again, HCH??? Think that might have something to do with your deer sightings?

I live in NC....and I have PLENTY of deer where i live, too. I could hang a lock-on and hunt it the same day.....but I'm not so sure I could do it so quietly. I've also NEVER hung one without breaking a sweat......and if my wife hunted....Id have TWICE the sweat going. I'd be worried about that, as well.

I use Summit Copperheads.......and the $50 16' ladders that attach to the tree. I also utilize the Summit climbing system rope. So....I walk to my tree.....attach my tether......and I ascend. pull up the bow.....and I'm ready to hunt. I can be in my tree in 1 minute.....ready to hunt. I just set it up a week ahead of time.....and move it a few times throughout the season. If I want to get in stealth, though.....I use the climber (to get back into the REAL good areas)....and even then I choose the right days/wind.

It's all about what works for you.

jeff
Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just wanted to stop in and comment that these are some very informative posts. I know there are others out there with input on this, so let's hear it. I have had an offer from another member to come to me with professional equip. and video this subject. I however do not feel I have the experience to properly show the how-to's of these setups, ect.. Thus my request for this type of info at the beginning of the thread. I know there has to be some who are willing to video and I want to thank all of you who have already made up your mind that you will contribute. Can not wait to see what I have been doing wrong. LOL And by the way I want to visit this topic periodically and comment to keep it fresh on our minds if the mod.'s do not mind.

LT
Old 11-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd also add that doing everything SAFELY needs to factor into the entire speed/quiet process. I can set a stand in 20 minutes and be completely safe in doing so. The climber is way less time than that.

jeff
Old 12-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wanted to bump this topic up the list so no one would forget. I still would really like to see results from this request. I am sure I would not be the only one who would benefit from this topic. I see Jeff you are doing a seminar. Man try and video it so we can all see your technique, unless you are too intimidated by the crowd. LOL Just kidding. Anyway, hope some of you guys can come thru with pics/video or both. Maybe everyone can get along on this topic for the good of fellow hunters everywhere. Geeeesh, Why can't we all just git along?

LT

Quick Reply: Fixed Stand and Climber Setup and Exit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.