Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed Stand and Climber Setup and Exit

Old 11-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixed Stand and Climber Setup and Exit

Yeah I went back and read your edit hch. By the way, there is a rule around my house. No touching electronic equip. if you are a female other than the on and off switch. LOL Hands off those video cables Hoytgirl.

LT
Old 11-24-2006, 07:23 PM

I am more than happy to help, though I'm not exactly sure how. I don't own a video camera, but I suppose I could take some photo's of how to set a climber and post it in my HNI journal....That's actually not a bad idea...I could take lots of pictures, of the proper tree and such, then the proper angle to start the climber, stuff like that. I'll do some more thinking on it, and if you have anything in particular that you want to see let me know.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks mobow. I knew I could count on you guys. You, to me, are the salt of HNI. If I could just get a reply from "old" Justin now. LOL He will be around I'm sure. One thing you may want to take pictures of is how you attach your cables on the Summit. ie., holding the platform up against tree and attaching cable. Same thing for seat section. Also you may want to include entering the stand at ground level and exiting at ground level. I know sometimes this can be tricky if you have a big angle to start with.

Thanks for any and all input mobow.

LT
Old 11-24-2006, 07:39 PM

Thanks mobow. I knew I could count on you guys. You, to me, are the salt of HNI.
WOW.....Uh....I've been called alot of things on this forum, but that's a new one.....[8D] I'm not sure there is room enough in this forum now for me AND my ego...

I'll recruit my son to help take pictures, it'll take a couple weeks as I have him only every other weekend, but look for it in my journal. I'll let you know when it's there too.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:50 PM

I have hunted for many years, but I have only used climbing stands. There-fore, I have never used nor am I familiar with the use of a rope and prussic for use in bowhunting. I have used a slightly similiar set up in training with my companys High angle and confined space rescue team, but I would also be very interested in seeing something on video concerning the set up and use of that type of safety system.

In fact, I might suggest the idea that a good production video could be a very helpful and possibly lucritave undertaking, with mass production and a wide enough release.My point in this statement is that there is definitely a need, and at least a moderate interest, and everydaywe are getting new hunters joining our ranks. At the very least though, you might help save someones life, either by showing the proper use of the equipment, or by making it simple enought that some hunters who previously would notuse a safety line would after seeing the ease of use and added safety factor.

Thanks for letting me bend your ears guys. And thanks enough for caring enough about othersto willingly try to make LT's idea come to life.

God Bless
Old 11-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very well put MichaelT, and thanks for the questions/suggestions. You are absolutely correct about the safety issues and bringing this to life. I really am not concerned about making money from this, but I know that someone with the skills could do so. My main concerns are my safety, the safety of others, and getting a clear picture of how experienced bow hunters go about their setups. Believe me, this topic has the potential to really benefit a lot of hunters if only they will pay attention. And Michael if you would like to contribute pictures, video or just good old advice, please feel free to do so.

Thanks, LT
Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way guys, no need to get too technical with your videos or pics. I would rather see plain common sense and practicality than those lame videos and instructions that come with a lot of the stands, harnesses and climbing sticks/steps. Let's keep it as unconfusing (is that a word?) as possible.

Thanks, LT
Old 11-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Man, I tell ya......you ask for help, we graciously offer to give it, now you're gonna be particular in which manner we provide it???? That's gratitude for ya! j/k buddy, j/k
Old 11-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Thanks mobow. I knew I could count on you guys. You, to me, are the salt of HNI.
WOW.....Uh....I've been called alot of things on this forum, but that's a new one.....[8D] I'm not sure there is room enough in this forum now for me AND my ego...

I'll recruit my son to help take pictures, it'll take a couple weeks as I have him only every other weekend, but look for it in my journal. I'll let you know when it's there too.
quite possibly the funniest thing i have heard all night i always thouhgt you were the pepper mobow[8D]
Old 11-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

Well, I've been using hang-on stands for over 25 years. As I get older (I'll be 50 tomorrow), I'm starting to look for easier ways to accomplish this task. I'm not saying that what I do is the right way, but it is the easiest way I know for the equiptment that I use. Currently, I'm using Lone Wolf Alpha hang on stands, two piece, folding tree steps and a three piece safety belt. I imagine it won't be too long before I'll just be using ladder stands or my double bull ground blind. For right now, I believe that the alpha hang-on is the quietest, sturdiest and safest hang-on stand that I've ever used. Here is how I set them up.

Once I pick the tree that I want to use, I move to the side of the tree where the stand will be sticking out to my left when I'm facing the tree.

I'll start installing the screw in steps on the right hand side first. Stand left, bottom step right. I install the steps at 90 degrees to each other. No more than shoulder width apart. Make sure that you don't space them too far apart or else when it gets colder out, you'll have trouble reaching them when you have more clothes on. For me personally, once I get the first two in, I stand on the first step and start spacing them even with a button on my jacket that is located just above my navel. I repeat this process until I'm at the desired height. The last step that you install will be on your right, within 12" of the stand platform. This way it will be a easy step into the stand. I also install a step about 3-4 feet above the last step for a hand hold to ease entry and exit of the stand. Once you are in the stand you can use this step to hold a fanny pack or other piece of equiptment.

Once the steps are in, I'll climb up carring the stand by a strap. Never carry the stand up on your back. A good friend of mine did this and slipped and fell, landing on his butt. His head snapped backwards into the V of the stand that goes against the tree and broke his neck, killing him.

Once up there, I fasten the stand in place. Then I step onto the platform and immediately remove the safety belt from my pocket and fasten it to the tree, then around myself. Now you are ready to hunt.

The reason for me starting my steps on the right comes from using the loc-on brand standsof whichI still have three. The rope was fixed on one side and hooked on the other. It was always easier for me to hook the rope in front of the tree rather than behind it. The way the alpha hang-ons work, you could hook them from either side.

When you install a hang-on stand this way you will use an odd number of steps for climbing. I usually use 11-13 steps. This gets me 23-25 feet in the air. I have used as many as 17 steps for climbing.

This may not be the safest or best way to do this, but it works for me. I am probably going to a safety vest in the near future.

I hope this helps. Any questions.... just ask.

Quick Reply: Fixed Stand and Climber Setup and Exit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.