Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheap heat for your Archery shop or home

Old 11-25-2006, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Cheap heat for your Archery shop or home

HCH?
HOW CLEAN IS IT BURNING WITH THE CORN?
I HAVE TO CLEAN MINE OUTEVERY DAYWHEN BURNING CORN.
JUST THINKING IT SHOULD BURN CLEANER WITH THE FRESH AIR.CHAMBER HOOKED UP?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Banned

I wouldn't have to clean it out daily but we have just let it burn out on its' own and we clean it before we fire it back up. My ash pan in the bottom has approx 2 cups of ash in it and most of it looks like oyster shell. We use a shop vac on the inside of the stove with what doesn't drop to the ash pan. Buddy, this stove is great!!!! Our house has never been so warm. I am off to the coop to get more corn. I have run 3 1/2 bushels through it in the last 2 1/2 days. We'll see how she does next week with the cold weather moving in.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

We have a two story house, and we put a cornstove in our basement before last winter, it is great, running on #2 of the 5 settings, our house is 71 degrees when it is 30 outside. It burns less than a bushel a day. We clean out our pot every three days, but we don't put the fire out, we just knock it loose and tip it so the burning corn falls back in the pot, no heat loss and struggling to start the corn. And as far as the earlier menchoned "waste" of good corn, how is that a waste, it is $$ in the pockets of the farmers, and that is key. I would love to have one in my hunting shack, but I would be "well done" in a short time. Keep Burning that gold!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Grandviewer

Question how long does 60# of corn/wood last you before you have to fill the hopper up? Or how long does 100# of corn last you now in mild weather?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Campo

ORIGINAL: Grandviewer

Question how long does 60# of corn/wood last you before you have to fill the hopper up? Or how long does 100# of corn last you now in mild weather?
I was wondering the same thing.
I am using a bushel to a bushel and a halfin a 24 hr perod with the stove on medium. I think a bushel weighs somewhere near 60#?? With the stove cranking I am running 120# through it in 24 hrs.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: BowHunterFett

We have a two story house, and we put a cornstove in our basement before last winter, it is great, running on #2 of the 5 settings, our house is 71 degrees when it is 30 outside. It burns less than a bushel a day. We clean out our pot every three days, but we don't put the fire out, we just knock it loose and tip it so the burning corn falls back in the pot, no heat loss and struggling to start the corn. And as far as the earlier menchoned "waste" of good corn, how is that a waste, it is $$ in the pockets of the farmers, and that is key. I would love to have one in my hunting shack, but I would be "well done" in a short time. Keep Burning that gold!
Exactly. Welcome to the forum fellow Iowawegion. BTW; remember when talking to other guys on here; there are no deer in IA and the ones that are here are all small and have chronic wasting disease, warty growths, and tumors.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Banned

BTW; this antique wash basin is sweet for storing the grain, pellets, and mixing the two. This is so easy. I am glad I didn't go with a wood burner. I plan on buying a small grain wagon and putting this in my barn. These can be had very cheap as farmers use semi's now and huge grain wagons and these little ones are obsolete to them.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

52 to 54 lbs per bushel.

Steve
Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

HCH, is your house old, real big, or poorly insulated, or is the price of natural gas that dang high?
I am shocked at your stated "$600-$800"/month heating bill. I'm on propane, and will be having $400 worth put in next week, and that will last me through the winter(will get my tank upto about 55% of full. I use a wood burner in my basement, and will burn about 1.5 cord of hardwood in a winter.
I am just shocked that it is costing anyone 600-800 a month to heat thier house!!
Too bad the price of corn is higher this fall, for you that is. Farmers are liking it though!
How much corn do you get when you get it from the co-op and how do you store it, or do you buy it in bags?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Well thanks. I haven't seen a deer in yearsDo you use a screening device of some sort to clean your corn, or does it come pretty clean from where you get it? We have a little box we pour ours through, it has different size chicken wire in it that gets all the fines out, makes a difference, alot cleaner without the bee wings in there. We have an old deep freeze we store our corn in, works great, keeps it nice and dry.

Quick Reply: Cheap heat for your Archery shop or home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.