Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Excited Iowan!!!

Old 11-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

Default Excited Iowan!!!

I just found out that IA allows us late season muzzleloader hunters to use our bows if we wish to fill this any sex tag!!!! I have grudgeonly late season muzzle loaded in past yearsfor the extra buck tag. I just don't get any excitement or feeling of accomplishment taking a deer with a gun anymore. It is so cool that I can trophy buck hunt Dec 18th until Jan 10th. IA law says that on Dec 18th I can sit in the woods with my late season muzzleloader tag and have on my possession a bow, handgun, and a muzzleloader all at the same time with me and shoot an any sex deer with whatever weapon I choose. There won't be any guns with me though. Yippy!!!! I guess this law has been around for awhile, but the regs don't spell it out real clearly other than a check marked box on a chart showing legal weapons during this late season muzzleloader. Damn, IA rocks!!! We have such a powerful bowhunting force in part because of the IA Bowhunters Association. We are the only state in the nation that I am aware of (please correct me if I am wrong;Edit, PA,MD too.) that DOES NOT ALLOW gun hunting during the rut. We have an early muzzleloader season that opens for a week in the 2nd week in October but that is it for guns until the 1st weekend in Dec after the rut. We also allow no centerfire rifle hunting which allows our bucks to get huge. IA has more Boone and Crocket bucks in the record books than any other state in the nation too!!! Once again YIPPY!!! Sorry, I am just ready for another crack at a big boyI have seen.
No wonder non-residents have no problem plunking down $400 for a non-resident tag. Residents only pay $26.00
PS. You guys all need to write to your congressman and DNR and let them know that it is DUMB and poor trophy mgmt to allow gun season during the rut in your state. They should think outside of the box and realize that big bucks bring big tourist $ in non-resident tags, motels, food, taxidermy bills, etc.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Excited Iowan!!!

I need to correct ya HCH, PA does not allow gun hunting during the rut either. Our archery season ended on the 11th of Nov. Our rifle season (2 weeks) starts Monday. The rut is normally over at least "peak" rut. There may be a few does still in estrous but for the most part the breeding should be done.

That being said, our late season, starting the day after Christmas and running 3 weeks is also archery/muzzleloader (flintlock only). Our state however only allows a single buck tag, period. I'm tagged out. I didn't buy a doe tag for a couple reasons.

Good luck HCH, I've only ever taken one doe with my flintlock. It made me one for one, it's a lot of fun hunting with it however I choose my bow over it. I hope they never open second season to inlines.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Banned

Thanks for the correction Rob. Inlines and scopes on muzzleloaders are allowed here. I think that since Knight muzzleloaders were the 1st "king" of the inlines and are made here in IA , that they mayhave hadsome pull.
IA's archery season runs Oct 1 until the 1st weekend in Dec. A three week shotgun season opens and bow season closes. During this shotgun season, a shotgun, muzzleloader, or handgun can be used; no centerfire.Bow then reopens the 18th ofDec until Jan 10th.
I might enjoy the flintlock. I have an inline with a scope that can shoot a gnats arse at 200 yds...too easy. I am just addicted to archery only on any big game.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats nice, you guys are lucky. Minnesota on the other hand won't hold the firearms season unless it is the rut.[&o]First weekend in November and continues in some parts of the state for 3 straight weeks.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

I feel for you Tribal. Teejay and I talk about it and my friends in MO hate it too. It just makes good deer trophy mgmt to not allow guns when the bucks are thinking with their wrong head.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

We can use our bows through all the seasons including using our bows during our firearms season. All weapons are welcome during firearms.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, I wish Illinois shotgun season were the first 2 weekends in December, instead of the weekend before Thanksgiving and the weekend after.

We also can't use our bows which does not make sense to me. Almost every deer I have killed with a shotgun I could have easily stuck with my bow.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:03 PM

hch, I just wanted to chime in and say I totally agree with you on not allowing gun hunting during the rut. And why the heck NOT allow bow hunting during gun/muzzloader seasons?? I wish it was that way everywhere!

Good luck on getting your big boy this December!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:16 AM

HCH
I thought they have opened up part of Southern Iowa to centerfire rifles during an early season?
Old 11-24-2006, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

HCH I have never met an angry Iowa bowhunter[8D]

Quick Reply: Excited Iowan!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.