Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do deer typically move once a day or twice?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default do deer typically move once a day or twice?

on an average everyday normal day, will the same deer move, to eat/walk around twice a day?, or do most deer only do that once a day?...
the reason i ask is im getting most of the deer on the trail cam are at 12 o clock at night.

those deer you see eating as the sun comes up, will they come back and eat as its going down, or are those diffrent deer usally?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 PM

Default RE: do deer typically move once a day or twice?

Deer have 4 chambers in their stomach, and they need to eat quite frequently to keep them up. I've heard, though I don't know for sure, that a deer must eat about every 4-5 hours.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

From my expierence deer will get up and browse about ever 4 hr like MOBO mentioned. If I don't see them at sun up I usually start seeing deer about 9 to 10. Then again late afternoon 2 to 3 Then ofcourse the magic hour before dark.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

I wonder if how often they get up to eat has somethign to do with what they are eating (acorns vs. grassvs. alfalfa vs. corn, etc.). Seems to me like eating acorns would "stick to your ribs" more than, say grass. I also think our chances of seeing deer have a lot to do with how far the deer have to move to get their food.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:00 PM

MOUNTAIN HUNTER, you would think that, but it doesn't really work like that. Like I mentioned, deer, like cows, have 4 chambers in their stomachs, all holding food digested at different levels. "Stick to your ribs" food really doesn't work that way....they must eat about every 4 hours to keep those chambers full.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

MOUNTAIN HUNTER, you would think that, but it doesn't really work like that. Like I mentioned, deer, like cows, have 4 chambers in their stomachs, all holding food digested at different levels. "Stick to your ribs" food really doesn't work that way....they must eat about every 4 hours to keep those chambers full.
if thats true, than why doi rarelysee deer in the10+ hours i hunt during the daylight
Old 11-21-2006, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

if thats true, than why doi rarelysee deer in the10+ hours i hunt during the daylight
You need better stand locations.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:19 PM

Because you obviously aren't doing something right. Either the wind is wrong and they are busting you, or you just aren't in the right place. Maybe you move around too much and make too much noise....who knows, but I assure you that deer have to eat. They may also be bedding right in the food, so they don't have to move farther than say 50 feet or so, but I promise you they are eating.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:31 PM

if thats true, than why doi rarelysee deer in the10+ hours i hunt during the daylight [:-][:-][:-][:-] location location location r their scrapes, rubs bed in this area/////?????? IF NOT YOUR IN A TRAVEL ZONE AND DEER TRAVEL MAINLY AT NIGHT[][][][]
I WOULD THINK