Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is it to dark to take a shot?

Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: When is it to dark to take a shot?

When you cannot ethically make a clean kill.

What's legal isn't necessarily ethical and what is illegal isn't necessarily unethical.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

When you cannot ethically make a clean kill.

What's legal isn't necessarily ethical and what is illegal isn't necessarily unethical.
True, but doesn't being ILLEGAL make it UNETHICAL? I know what you are saying though, and you're right.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

and what is illegal isn't necessarily unethical.
Really???? I thought illegal was illegal and we should therefore avoid it or work to change the laws, not use our own idea of what's right or wrong. From a hunters stand point and to do the right thing, I'd say illegal is never ethical.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

30 min past sunset is the final legal shooting hours here and you can see your pins really well as well as your target.
No, I wouldn't take that shot.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

KS..I didn't mean to seem accusatory, I was using "you" in general, meaning any of us. Ethically, if you feel it's too late and it's low light, then it's too late. Legally, if the state says 30 minute after sunset, then that's legal, although in my opinion and most parts of the countrythat's way too late to shoot.

How did I get on opposites side of this one...I'm usually Switzerland...neutral I tell you.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

and what is illegal isn't necessarily unethical.
Really???? I thought illegal was illegal and we should therefore avoid it or work to change the laws, not use our own idea of what's right or wrong. From a hunters stand point and to do the right thing, I'd say illegal is never ethical.
So if a deer you legally shot runs onto your neighbors posted property and you can actually see it but are not allowed to enter it, you'd let it rot?

It'd be illegal for you to enter the property there for unethical?...I THINK NOT, The ETHICAL thing to do is recover the animal, not let it lay.

If you found a paralyzed deer, would you dispatch it, it'd be illegal but in my mind, very ethical....

Calm me unethical all you want, I'll do the right thing when it's not necessarily legal.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ETHICS=deciding for YOURSELF what is right or wrong.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Original Davidmil, I took shots later than anyone should.
Illegal and Unethical?

Original Davidmil, I no longer check to see when sunset or sunrise are. I now go by the rule of, if I can't see my pins clearly it's time to call it quits.
Shooting times end long before you cannot see your pins. Illegal and Unethical?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Depends on where you hunt. I'm a deep woods hunter. Legal shooting hours go way beyond what I call good light to see my pins. The questionwasn't about wounded animals etc. It was about how late to shoot. You want to throw in all sorts of off the cuff exceptions I can throw in the Bible says thou shalt not kill. Tell me you wouldn't go to war if called. Dispatching a wounded animal is one thing(not in the original question). Shooting after legal light is quite another. One is mercy killing. The other is macho killing. The law regards them as the same, illegal. IF I were to have a mercy killing you'd never know about it. Those who say they have one after hours make it a Macho killing. The simple fact you're still hunting after hours and in the stand is usually illegal and unethical or whatever you choose to call it. Sunset today in Baltimore was 4:48, in Boonville, NY where I hunt a lot it was 4:32. You may beable to see at 10 minutes after 5 in Booneville, but you're illegal. If you choose to have either a macho or mercy killing after hours you best be ready to pay the fine because you're breaking the law. Don't come in here looking for an Attaboy for shooting after hours because you felt it was your duty. I will dispatch a wounded animal in a heart beat and tag it, but not after dark.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 PM

SOAP THATS THE WRONG ANSWER FOR A 17 YEAR OLD WANTING T HUNT GOOD LAND

Quick Reply: When is it to dark to take a shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.