Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

*&$%#@~

Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM

Default RE: *&$%#@~

2 years ago I went 0 for 7 on deer. That sucked!
It was MY FAULT! I had not practiced as much as I should have and missed. Thankfully I did not wound any of the deer, all clean misses.
At the end of that season, after a fine meal of "tag soup" I vowed that would never happen to me again.
I started to practice once per seek for about an hour or so at the local range.
Last year I was 3 for 3!
This year I have missed one deer but that is the only shot I have had.

I do not know how long you have been bow hunting but it took me 5 seasons to get my first deer with a bow.

Keep at it
Realize that the missed shots are your fault and do something about it.
Welcome to bow hunting, if it was easy, anyone could do it.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:32 PM

look im not going to say anything about your shooting because i missed a huge deer this year as well ugh for scouting if you see alot of rubs then you know you have some bucks it just determins the size of the rub but i wouldent pute a camera on the rubs just for the fact that most deer just do not rub the same tree twice and if you have some scrapes then that might be a good spot to pute a camera althow i have had no luck with that others have though. We pute cameras over are feeders in the post season to determin what kind of deer we have and where they are coming from. Plus the feeders in the winter can draw alot of deer on your property who are in need of alot of food. You just need to hunt to i mean i hunted about 100 times this year and only shot one doe althow i did pass of a couple and missed a nice buck and since we have the antler restriction i had to pass on alot of small bucks it just takes time so dont get to beat up and i hope i gave you some info you can use and her is just a picture of one of our cameras over the offseason it sure dose draw alot of deer.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i will have to wait until basketball season is over,snow is on the ground and then buy a trail camera. then i can look for a spot to put it up at.we do have an antler restriction also...must be atleast a 4x4 so...kinda picky. i dont no for sure what the law is about baiting but i would if it wasnt illegial.i am almost 100% sure it is illegal.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 PM

list what equiptment your useing . arrow speed all that stuff maybe we can find something their .
Old 11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my experience the most heavily used trails seem to be used mostly at night. Find some secondary trails that lead to a bedding or feeding area and set up there.

If you only got out 5 times that isn't much time spent in the woods. I have probably been in the stand around 30 times, but I do have 2 deer. It takes QUALITY TIME on stand not just being there.

Also LOOSE THAT ATTITUDE! The more you bitch and complain about not getting any help the more people you are turning off!!!!!! That attitude will not help you get a deer while on stand. Lighten up.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i better fix that before this goes any further, i went out 5 DAYS not 5 times....sorry about that mistake.so big and secondary trails are good for trail camera set up ???i guess it hints the name "trail" camera. any other spot to put them. not on rubs or scrapes??
Old 11-20-2006, 08:14 PM

You're trying to do one of the hardest things on this planet to accomplish, kill a mature buck w/ archery tackle. I've hunted damn hard this year, and you know what I've learned.....IT AIN'T EASY.If you missed all 3 low, you've obviously got a consistent problem.......the deer are farther than you think, so aim higher. That's not meant as a mockery, but an answer.

OK, you want to know the most important things to locate while scouting. Beds, and feeding areas. If you can find where they sleep and where they eat, you stand a much better chance of killing one. I, by the way, am still looking for the bedding areas.....There are many, many more things to locate though. Rubs, scrapes, hidden trails, funnels...the list continues for miles...
Old 11-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

not to sound retarted but what are some ways to no if its a bedding area[&:]??
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: kwaldeier

not to sound retarted but what are some ways to no if its a bedding area[&:]??
LMAO!! If I knew that answer, I wouldn't still be looking for them!! Hahahaha....Um....beds are pretty obvious when you see one. They are a flat, indented oval patch on the ground, and if you look closely you will find white hair in them. Trust me, you'll know what it is when you see one.

Does really like tall, overgrown grassy fields. Those are pretty easy to find. Bucks on the other hand are far more secluded, and I've had a very hard time finding them. Ridges w/ lots of tree tops seem to be a good one....They are in really, really oddball places I've noticed. It almost seems that if you think of the LAST place you would look for a deer, check it out. A buck is most likely bedding there. Strange...But hey, I'm no expert. I've never shot one w/ a bow.....[&o]
Old 11-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i have seen where deer have bedded...looks just like a place where a cow has laid down. a bedding area is just a mass "bed" for many deer is it not?sorry for my stupidity but i am trying to be 100% clear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.