Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in Lower NY

Old 11-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Default Hunting in Lower NY

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and thought I would try and get some information on the state I just moved into.

I recently moved to New York City from Connecticut and nee some information on how things work in NY as far as Hunting goes.
Does NY have an orange rule as far as hunting goes? Do you have to wear a certain amount of orange in the woods?
Second how do you get tags for different animals in NY. I know you get a deer tag with your huting permit and another with your bow permit and another with Muzleloader permit. But how do you get a bear tag? Do they Even have them?

Since I just moved here I am trying to get all my stuff in so I can try and hunt a few times this season. I have all my hunting licensesand a Watershedaccess permit but am waiting on the huting permit for the watershed land. I dont have any private land so is their anywhere I can hunt beside watershed areas? State forests?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ant195

Old 11-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting in Lower NY

anti95,

NY's DEC website:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/

NY hunting regus:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/worhunt.html

Hunting guide for 2006/2007:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/guide.html

Straight from the horse's mouth :-)

-c_str
Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sterling forest is always popular, its in orange cnty. probably about and 1.5 or less from the city. But I believe you need a seperate permit for it. And yes laze orange is required, but im not sure on the amount, but a vest does work. For my licence I get the super sportsman, it has 2 fall and 2 spring turkey tags, 1 either sex, and 1 doe tag for archery/Muzzleloader, 1 gun season tage(either) and 1 bear tag. This goes for 68 bucks.The only other land I can think of is West Point which is closer then Sterling Forest, but that also need a seperate permit. Hope you find someplace to hunt and good luck.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

As far as I know blaze orange is not required in ny to hunt deer.

do you have a reference somewhere?

I always wear it anyway, and lots of it.