Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 questions...

Old 11-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2 questions...

1) whats the deal with squirrel talk?? they always chatter when im sittin there...does it mean n e thing??
2)in my spot there are 12 rubs within a 75 yard diameter....if the buck was still alive when would he check them?? in the morning, midday or at night??i just wondered upon this spot and wondered if it was n e good...thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2 questions...

The squirrels are making fun of you and the buck will check those scrapes at 11.06 pm tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

1.I have no idea
2.I shot the buck, he was a booner
Old 11-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

hardy har har[&:]
Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

if the squirrels are "barking" they spotted you and you need to get some cover and sit still!...some might agree but i think squirrels and chipmunks and turkeys busting you will spook deer...infact i got proof! second day of bow season i had 2 bucks come into an orchard i was watchin...couple minutes watching them feed a squirrel seen my try to clean the binoc lenses i fogged up..squirrel started barking..deers tails went up and they slipped into the thicket..werent shooters but thats proof enough for me..

rubs are hit or miss....i dont think they are like scrapes and they check them sorta regular..if you hunt scrapes at the right time and the bucks are checking them you may be in luck....but rubs i dont think are hit regularly....jsut when he feels like gettin out some agression

Old 11-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Squirrels are just stupid. Don't worry about them.

Rubs merely indicate the buck WAS there....this time of year he could be anywhere. But with that many rubs you may have found his core area, and he will return eventually, if he's still alive.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) Squirrels barking is not good. That bark is a warning call to all wildlife in the area. He is warning of your presense. It works the other way too. Many times I've had squirrels( chipmunks and birds too)alert me to deer coming my way, allowing me extra time to get in position and to know what direction to watch.

When a squirrel makes that sound, it sees something. Maybe another squirrel, maybe another hunter, maybe a fox or maybe a deer. It sees something and its telling everyone.

2) If the rubs are in a line it gives you a general idea that a buck sometimes uses this route. Did you notice if the rubs were all on the same side of the tree?

Lets say the rubs are in a line and facing towards a field. Most likely those rubs were made in the morning as a deer was leaving his feeding area and headed to bed down. He made the rubs walking away from the field and into thicker woods to bed. Hunt there in the morning.

If the rubs were made facing towards the woods and away from the field, they were most likely made in the evening as the buck was headed towards the field to eat in the evening. Hunt this spot in the late afternoon.

You can subsitute the field for an oak groveor any area that deer feed.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

never thaught of it that way...thanks a ton!!!but they are in the middle of a timber.....fields all around it...i didnt look close enough at what side they were on...so...
Old 11-18-2006, 08:54 PM

squirrels have iq of -100, and as the rubs go, id pass them and look for travel routes this time of year.find does and youll find bucks. last year i hunted where there were 13 rubs in a 100 yd by 100 yd square of woods and never saw a shooter buck. i wa sstubbron and stayed there beccause i thought surely a booner would be back to hit them. try finding scrapes instead. kinda like a message board for the deer to see whos i nthe area and if any does are in heat. he WILL check up on his scrapes, especially if they are still active and fresh.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

The squirrels are making fun of you and the buck will check those scrapes at 11.06 pm tomorrow.
You kill me

Quick Reply: 2 questions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.