Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sick Deer!!!!

Old 11-19-2002, 02:43 PM

Default Sick Deer!!!!

I was out bow hunting this morning, the weather was great. As I was sitting in my stand I heard some walkign behind my stand about 30 yards or so but it didnt sound right, so i turned around slowly and saw a doe walking west, as it sotpped and turned its head towards me I noticed alot of white from the top of the brow to about half way down her face just above her eyes. I did manage to call her in closer with my can call for a better look, as she began to walk i noticed she was walking slow and kind of stiff legged and noticed that the whit i was seeing was either her skin or her skull, she was pretty thin a didnt really look well at all, would this be any of the symptons of CWD? I am not reporting this deer to the Local authorities till after the gun deer season which begins on Saturday the 23rd. We really do not need the DNR poking around our woods just before the gun season not that we have anything to hide which we dont we have always been Law Abbiding when it comes to hunting. But if anyone else has seen such a case or may have any ideas what this may be please contact me asap, If she would have given me a shot i would have taken and dropped her off anonamusly at the local DNR station. But again if anyone has any ideas what this may be feel free to contact me in any manner Yahoo messenger, or email, makes no difference. Thanks.

Tony Hericks
Old 11-19-2002, 02:52 PM
Spike

Default RE: Sick Deer!!!!

If you are in WI how far from Mt Horeb or Cross Plains? I don't think I have heard of any discoloring but emaciation, yes. CWD attacks the brain so if it were walking strangely I would say odds are close. It could also just be an injury but if a deer hit its head so hard to skin its skull (hit by car?) I would think that would have killed it. If not could be infection now. Where is your town in relation to the elimination zone?
Bill

Old 11-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-20-2002, 02:06 PM

Im in Clark County, Central Wis.

Tony Hericks
Old 11-20-2002, 02:07 PM

If you would be able to Id like to see that photo if at all possible. If its on a website please direct me to the site.

Tony Hericks
Old 11-22-2002, 09:14 AM

You definately should have reported it. Wanting to salvage your shotgun season is a pretty selfish reason. Assuming that it does have the disease, it has the opportunity to infect other animals. What sort of season do you think you'll have next year. The DNR would have taken caution and pursued this right away, probably having it out of the way before they could disturb shot gun season.

That is a part of being an ethical hunter. Usually with CWD they are also not afraid of human contact. It sure does sound like that is what it was. Wish you would have reported it.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:56 AM

I AM IN FIRM AGREEMENT WITH PSEMASTER. HOW ARE WE EVER GOIULG TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM IF IT IS NOT REPORTED. SO WHAT IF IT EFFECTED THIS YEARS SEASON. YOU MUST THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE. WE AS HUNTERS MUST WATCHOUT FOR PROBLEMS NOW TO PROTECT THE FUTURE. PLEASE RE THINK YOUR DECISION AND CALL THE DNR NOW!!!!!!!!!!

HUNT ON HUNT HARD EAT WELL
Old 11-22-2002, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not reporting it could cause for more damage. If they can get the test run on the deer and comfirn CWD it could save more deer in the future. We are turning in the first 20 heads to the game biologist this year so they can test the tissue on and around the brain stem. They are not walking around in the woods bothering us they are collecting the data that we give to them and working with us. In the long run it is better to work with them not against them.

Old 11-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

You should have whacked her and put her out of her misery. I would be real concerned after seeing such a deer. Hope it's not CWD.

Hunting the wilds of Jersey
Old 11-22-2002, 01:06 PM
CG

I wouldn't automatically assume that it is CWD. There are a number of possibilities including other diseases and injuries that could cause the same symptoms. However, you should have reported it to find out.....

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"

Quick Reply: Sick Deer!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.