Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disappointment

Old 11-17-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Disappointment

Well, I guess you learn something new everytime you go out, it's just disappointing sometimes. I'm sitting in my stand, and there's a little nubbin buck that fed out twenty yards from me for half an hour. It's getting later in the morning, so I figure I'd be getting down after the little guy left because things typically slow down as more time goes by, but as I'm about to give up, a nice six point comes crashing through, and feeds right by the nubbin buck, pushing him away. Something catches the six's eye, and he doesn't seem to like it, so he trots over a little, and stands poised, perfectly broadside.I pull back, take a breath, and let the arrow fly...only, my broadhead made the arrow spin way out of line, and it went crazy, hitting the buck way high in the backstraps. I need to really tune my broadheads.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:25 PM

Default RE: Disappointment

You didn't tune them before you hunted with them?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Oh, I did, trust me. I was shooting G5 Montecs, and I had been using a practice broadhead and was hitting the target great, so I put a new one on and then that happened. But I really did have it tuned pretty good, I meant to say tune them better.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure something else didn't happen at just 20 yards?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:38 PM

it's proabley not the g5 it's more your bow then anything . have you walk back tuned your bow ? if not i have it copied i can put it up for you . I have g5 & i hated them[:'(] they flew like crap until i found this way of tuning ! I still think their junk but now they fly great ! O-YA go out tomorrow & look for that deer ! you owe it to the animal to look for it . JMHO !!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 PM

the guy at the bow shop here says that montec G5's and four other brands of broadheads should not be sold. We watched a guy shoot perfect with field points then used G5's and shot horrible. He then switched him to a broadhead designed to hit as a field point such as the crimson talons, and the guy shot perfect, which proved the broadheads were at fault.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:52 PM

which proved the broadheads were at fault.
I woln't disagree with that but a bow thats out of tune will shoot a field tip perfect but shoots a B/H 8-10 inches to the left. talons, slick tricks are made for just that reason to fly like F/T & most of them do ! but put a muzzy on it's a different game .
Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 PM

i was shooting muzzys and loved them, but they are one of the four he says to stay away from, only because of accuracy issues, i did love muzzy's, because they are the toughest around
Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 PM

but i do agree a out of tune bow, will not shoot correctly
Old 11-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can shoot my G5Montecs out to 40 yards NEARLY as good as my fieldpoints. I said nearly, as they are not as tight of groups, but they are still plenty good enough to kill a deer.

Most of my shots are well within 30 yards and from there my Montecs perform great. I recently busted through a shoulder blade and a rib at 20 yards with them and had a pretty good blood trail.

No bad complaints from me, but I will say that mechanicals do fly better. If I could be gaurenteed that they don't loose any energy upon impact and they will always work, I would use them. However I have seen to many times where one wont open, and I don't like the idea of relying on something else that could go wrong.

With my fixed broadheadI know I have cut on contact and I know they are going to punch through every shot. Just my opinion though, my dad has shot Satellites for his whole life and while there are probably better options, he wont budge.

Use what works for you and what you are comfortable with.

Quick Reply: Disappointment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.