Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hosed in IOWA

Old 11-17-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Hosed in IOWA

I just wanted to let eveyone know about the IOWA hunting trip that me and a friend went on and got ripped off big time, and lost our chances at a iowa buck for atleast another 2 years.

We had been planning and putting in for a Iowa bowhunting trip for two years now and finnally got drawn for this season of '06. Anyways we had been researching a few different outfitters and semi guided hunts on lease land and came up with one that we thought looked really good. The things that were apealing were that he told us he only has 8 hunters per year to keep pressure very very low, he also claimed there were 850 acres of land adjoining other lease properties that trophy managed deer also. Everything was untrue. When we showed up we had no beds to sleep in like promised. We figured we didn;t care as long as we saw deer thats all that really mattered anyways. So the first day we go out he told us what stands would be good so we headed out for our first morning hunt and sat in the worst placed stand i have ever seen. I couldn't even draw my bow in order to shoot, it was impossible so i sat on the ground. My buddy had a farmer drive out to where he was sitting and was warned him about not shooting over the property line. In conversations with this farner he told us that there had been people in the same stands we were in for the past three weeks and that a 120" deer was a monster for the area we were hunting.

We both werepromised thatthere was several deer over 150" and two booners that he had been patterning. That was all a lie. We found out very quickly we had made a huge mistake and losrt any hope of getting a chance a mature deer.

I don't want to see anyone else get taken like we did.

The name of the outfit is JAGERMISTER OUTFITTERS in WEST AMANA IOWA.

His name is LYNN BUZWELL. He also guides as a duck hunter and goose hunter.

We Were never refunded our money and are now out alot of money and time we could have hunted at home. We are so frustrated over this situation. This man is a crook and it needs to be known.

If anyone can give me some advice on where their are actual reputable places to hunt iowa i would like to start another trip to IOWA for 2008.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

Default RE: Hosed in IOWA

Tons of public land available. Go to some small town cafes and meet some farmers. Bowhunters are welcome in a lot of places if you present yourself to a landowner. I would NEVER let a whitetail guide tell me where to hunt. Get out on the land, find your self some funnels between feeding and bedding areas, and hang your own stand.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Wow!.. I hate to hear that for you,, I even talked to Lynn a couple years ago, and almost went to his place to hunt,, now Im glad I didnt, Sorry you had a terrible trip, I always hate to hear about someone spending hard earned money for the possiblity to take their dream buck, only to be lied to. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

I am taking a buddy of mine(ia buck)that is new to bowhunting out tommorrow and "guiding" him.I amtaking him in myjon boat up the river and getting into land that is only accesssible by boat or a long, long hike. The river where I am taking him is army corps of engineer land which is all public. I am sure we will see no one. We are going to hunt in our stands from 10 am to 2 pm. It is peak rut here right now and miday is the best time to hunt as far as I am concerned. Plus the river is low and I don't have to worry about navigating a river in the dark. We will hopefully post pics of his buck tommorrow night!!! I have two doe tags and all he has is an any sex.
Any way, you don't need a guide to hunt IA. Most of us locals have our own timbers to hunt and the public gets very little pressure.
I forgot to tell you; there are no big deer in IA and I would probably go to Illinois,MN, or Ohio.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Post his address

Maybe a little hate mail is in order?

Guys like this make me sick.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hey now, there are absolutly no big deer in Ohio, they all migrated to PA.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awe man that really sucks. Glad you shared it with everyone. Would be nice to stick it to this clown somehow. Idiots like this just because hes in Iowa figures easy money. Sorry to hear that.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Hardcore all thebig deer in Illinois swam across the Mississippi into Missouri, so no reason to come here.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck BIGBROW. I would hate to spend all that money to go be told how to hunt and lied to. I would rather hunt some public land instead and have some knowledge about the deer, the setup, and whats around.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Tons of public land available. Go to some small town cafes and meet some farmers. Bowhunters are welcome in a lot of places if you present yourself to a landowner. I would NEVER let a whitetail guide tell me where to hunt. Get out on the land, find your self some funnels between feeding and bedding areas, and hang your own stand.
-Bigbrow312-Sorry to hear about your bad luck man. That really sucks!

HCH is right, if you are going to hunt here, use public land, most locals have their own land so public is not hunted that heavy. But, there are'nt any big deer here, just little ones.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 PM

lets not lie to him....all the bucks are still in yur state
mainly because western kentuckys monsters swam the ohio into yur states so have fun and remember there are NO big deer here in KY. that 249 muzzleloader buck last year was staged, believe me.

Quick Reply: Hosed in IOWA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.