Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hosed in IOWA

Old 11-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hosed in IOWA

Sorry to hear that man. I know here in Western Iowa there is over 4000 acres of public ground in the county I live in. If you ever want to come out here pm me and I could show you where it is all at. I would never use a outfitter. I just don't think I could trust one. But that is just my opinion. Sorry to all the outfitters on HNI.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

Theres a small mapbook that is put out by a guy that lists all the public hunting land in Iowa. I purchased this book a couple years ago and went out there bowhunting for 2 weeks. It was a incredible hunt and in the 2 weeks there we hunted 3 pieces of public land and only saw 1 other bowhunter the whole time. This was the first 2 weeks of November also during prime rut. I will try to dig up the book and give you a address. I live here in Illinois and will be going back to Iowa either next year or the year after. The public land I hunted gets hardly no pressure compared to the public land here in Illinois due to them allowing not as many NR hunters.

Don
Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, heres the link to the mapbook.

http://www.sportsmanatlas.com/iowa/atlas/iowa_sportsmans_atlas.html

If your going to hunt Iowa and public land this is a great investment.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:55 AM

Thats exactly what we did!

We winged a state land hunt. It's pretty tough to huntan area when we only had oneday to scout and hangstands.

I do haveto say that thetwo days we did sit in the state land we sawalot of deer. Nothing of any size but good on the numbers.

i have shot3 bucksthat net out at over 140" in the last year and know how and where to hunt. I had just thought by talking to this guy thathe had the advantage to live on the property and watch the patternsclosely and really understand the lay of the land, and that it would just give ajumpstart where we didnt have to use uppart of our week to scout/ hang stangs and stomp through the areas that we weregoing to be huinting...

Live and Learnright? Afterall that is what i have gotten to know after all the years of bow hunting.