Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalking Boots

Old 11-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Stalking Boots

Does anyone here Stalk Hunt verses sit in a tree, I tried it the iorst time this year and actually able to get close enough to make shots at 3 deer, had a blonde moment on the first because I couldn't beleive I actually snuck up on a doe at 20 yards granted it was raining so I was able to walk quietly as well as on the others one just wasn't able to get a good shot and I missed the other but needless to say I wouold like to know what are the Best shoes to do this with because my rubber boots just do Not cut it unless its wet. I tried Snaekers but not much differance my wife told me to save a deer hide and make boots from it, any info would be great Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 03:58 PM

Default RE: Stalking Boots

80% of my deer hunting is done on the ground in a spot and stalk senerio. There are a lot of good boots out on the market that can replace your rubber boots and still remain waterproof and scent reducing. The biggest thing is to know what terrain your hunting. If you are looking for stealth, look for a soft sole so you don't get a "clunk" on rocks, sticks, and logs. In wet areas, get a boot with a waterproof membrane. Steep areas you may want a high boot for ankle support. There are "sneaker" style hunting boots out there that offer a very quiet footfall. Moccasins would be ideal for sneaky walking if you can get used to not having a supportive sole.

In my area it is steep, rough rocky terrain, with the occational rattlesnake sighting. I first went for a pair of snake boots, but found them uncomfortable, as the kevlar lining sewn in the uppers would rub and cut on my ankles. They would be ok on more flat country, but just didn't work for me. I ended up with a set of boots 16" tall, soft outsole, great foot and ankle support, waterproof, and have a scent eliminating fabric. They seem to work well for me.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply thats good to know, I am up & down hills mostly Laurel and oak with some pines thrown in, I like the pines because I don't need the rain to be quiet but oak area's on dry leaves thats challanging.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:27 PM

I have spent 20 yrs+ doing what you descibe and have spent thousands of dollars over the years looking for the perfect still hunting boot.
I believe I recently found the answer to my prayers. Light enough and flexible enough to creep around looking for whiteys, yet with sufficient ankle support for chasing elk in the steep stuff. Goretex lined, 10" high.
Boot perfection.
They are made by LOWA and are called "Seekers".
Extremely comfortable, checkem out.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thats great thank You I will
Old 11-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some Irish Setter boots that I absolutely love to stalk in. When it gets into the moment and I know I have the wind in my favor, there are times that I remove my boots and walk in my super thick wool socks.