Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting During Shotty Season

Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 AM

Default Bowhunting During Shotty Season

I live in north central illinois this is my first year deer hunting i only hunt with a bow one of they spots i hunt is archery only but alot of the area around it is shotgunned i was wondering if it would be a good idea to bow hunt this area during shotgun season me nad my partner have seen 2 10 points 150 class deer and 1 12 point that was massive he says it would go 180 would the deer be moving more in there since there is alot of shots going on around them let me know thnx im still looking for the big ones there
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting During Shotty Season

I live in cental IL. and If I was in anarea thatI could bowhunt in this weekend Iwould def. be out there.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Strategy-wise, I'd say go for it. It'll be hard to find a deer that's not running full tilt, but you might get lucky with so many moving.
BUT...

Not sure where you are at, but make sure you've got your rules straight.

In all counties except Cook, DuPage, Lake, and part of Kane, you cannot bowhunt during the firearm weekends. I've heard of one or two exceptions on public land that does not participate in firearm season, but I'm not sure which ones they are. You'd have to check the specific site rules.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

i bowhunt in an archery only zone here in NY, even during gun season... the deer know where to go when the lead is flying!

the surrounding areas sound like vietnam but my little acreage is a haven for the deer. nothing to worry about except a muzzy....
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM

If you do, keep a low profile. Archery season is closed during shotgun season. Except for those couties that do not have a firearm season.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

In all counties except Cook, DuPage, Lake, and part of Kane, you cannot bowhunt during the firearm weekends.
I'll be in Lake County all weekend.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: moose1915

i bowhunt in an archery only zone here in NY, even during gun season... the deer know where to go when the lead is flying!

the surrounding areas sound like vietnam but my little acreage is a haven for the deer. nothing to worry about except a muzzy....
Where in NY? Are you in Albany County?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

In all counties except Cook, DuPage, Lake, and part of Kane, you cannot bowhunt during the firearm weekends.

Pbbbbttttt!! [:'(]
I'll be out bowfishing or shooting rabbits in the yard or something. But not deer hunting. [&o][&o]
I suppose I could update my journal............
Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Pbbbbttttt!! [:'(]
I'll be out bowfishing or shooting rabbits in the yard or something. But not deer hunting. [&o][&o]
I suppose I could update my journal............
Or you can get in the kitchen where you belong and make me some BBQ venison.

PS - Updating your journal is probably a better idea.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over the years, my father and I have both had great success bowhunting during gun season for all of the reasons listed above. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting During Shotty Season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.