Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Headed to NC (Returned, page 3)

Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Headed to NC

I've got access to a spot that I know we'll see deer on. It's an afternoon spot, only, though. I think frmcntry has a morning spot for us.

I appreciate the offer....but I think we're set, this time. Now....Rob leaves Sunday....and I ALWAYS take people up when they offer up new hunting grounds...lol!

Jeff
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck to you guys. It's always good to get together with a good friend and go hunting. I hope you fellas get the opportunity you're looking for and catch it on film. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

As if the NC deer didn't have it hard enough already.... The half rack spike master just may strike again!

What part of NC are you headed to?

Good luck down there!
Half rack spike master!!!! Oh my god...I just wet myself!!!!!!!!!!

But hell...what do I have to say about it anyway....I'd be HAPPY w/ a half rack spike right about now.....[&o]
Old 11-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the words of Larry the Cable Guy " Git R' Done" good luck to all you guys and cant wait to hear the storys.
And for the rest of us Gramps is gone!so lets see what you guys really think about him.lol, jk, have a good time guys.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

we dont have half rack spikes in north carolina duhhh we only have monstrosity 4 pointers and 60 to 100 inch 6 to 8 pointers of course that is in the southeastern part of the state where the river mettes the beach so i hope yall ahve a good time
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM

Good luck and get us a big one!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

To think I leave this place to go north. I'm glad to read this post and see what your doing. I'm central NC and have seen some nice bucks in the 130 140 range. I haven't hunted them because my neighbor's son is now bow hunting. Last week he had the 11 pointer at 5 yrds and drew on him. He realiszed at full draw his arrow un-knocked and was balancing on his rest. I told him welcome to bow hunting. That story was worth every hunt I've had.

Good luck this week guys. I hope they enjoy it.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:24 PM

Good luck Gramps and get some video practice so you can film my hunt on our trip.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey all,

Got back, I'm on the couch with the dog in my lap, little guy missed me. Spent needed missed time with the Mrs, she's now sleeping too, next to me and she's glad I'm home.

We had a fantastic time, At least I did and I hope Jeff had as much of a good time with me as I did with him and his beautiful bride.

Deer reports, We sat in his "ambush" sight well before first light and heard the deer before we saw them. They were across the road running around, we could hear them but it was still too dark to see them....UNTIL, they'd cross the road in front of car lights or walk under the night/street light across the road. We watched a really good buck chase a doe under the light. It was comical to watch him navigate the curb. Several deer filtered under us as light came but they were by us before light was efficient. I was watching two through the grates of my treestand for quite a while praying for enough ligth to shoot. They moved by me and then by Jeff. We needed a few more minutes but they moved off into the bedding area.

That evening we set up shortly before noon, up tight and personal to their bedding area. As I moved into the tree I needed to climb I caught several deer stand up and move off. They didn't spook in the sense that they were gone for good, these deer live with people around, they are used to human activity, dogs, machines, cars, mowers, blowers, etc...but I am still amazed at how incredibly instinctive they are when you push their envelope. I quickly got in the tree when I felt it was safe to do so. Once in it didn't take long for deer to reappear. I watched a good buck scent checking does just inside the bedding area. There is no opportunity for a shot in this thick area and like most bucks during the rut, they didn't care about my calls. He would not stick his head out of the thick stuff regardless. From 12:00 to 12:30 I watched several deer meander through. From 12:30 to 2:00 I didn't see anything else. I watched the landowners come and go from their household duties, dogs let out and let in, talking, cars etc....none of this affected the deer if they didn't push the line. From 2:00 to 2:30 I again saw several deer move through, bucks chasing, checking does and then again, nothing until 4:00. From 4:00 to dark not only did I see deer, I saw a ton of deer with several bucks doing their thing. I had several opportunities for shots on fawns but no does and no bucks because of either closeness and those that were close, it was too thick.

The landowner talked to us when we moved into the spot because her dogs barked and came running, she came out to round up her dogs and told Jeff, there are too many deer here and shoot what he wishes, she also invited him back whenever he wishes. Jeff is a great guy, when talking with landowners, he does things right, the southern gentleman way.

All in all my total sightings for the evening were amazing. Now I know that some of these deer that I saw I may have seen a couple times however, sightings, deer coming and going I stop counting at 37 and I saw more sightings and several different bucks that I did not see before.

All in all my deer sightings for the day was well over 50 deer with at least 7 different bucks.

Not only did I have a great time in the treestand, Jeff and Lisa are wonderful people and great hosts. I got to meet Mitch, (teenager) and Ashley, Jeff's loving Chocolate Lab and I scratched her ears. She wore a smile.

I'd like to publically thank Jeff for welcoming me into his home and his hunting area and thanks to ya'll....lol for the wishes. As good as it is to have a great time with a new good friend, it's always good to be home as well.

Thanks Jeff,
Old 11-19-2006, 09:23 PM

Welcome back "Gramps" glad to hear you had a good time with "Pops"[8D] All right guys we have to behave now the cat is back.

Quick Reply: Headed to NC (Returned, page 3)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.