Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neat Statistics!!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Neat Statistics!!!!

Here are a few stitistics that I pulled from a book I am currently reading. These statistics were gathered in 2001 but I wouldn't imagine that they have changed much. I feel sorry for you guys in my native state of WV and also you guys in PA. No wonder when I hunted in WV it felt like I was always running into other people. Take them with a grain of salt. I just thought they were interesting stats. This may get long so bare with me. Just wanted to see your guys' thoughts and opinions on some of these things.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neat Statistics!!!!

I've read the same book (John Eberhart - Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails I believe?). Michigan, PA, WV are high pressure states. It's so bad in Mid Michigan right now that you just can't get away. I see bowhunters nearly every time I go into the woods. It doesn't matter if you're on state land or private land either. I have permission to hunt 2 private spots. One is 20 acreas and five people hunt there. The other is 80 acres and at least8 other people hunt there. Thats why you don't see too many big bucks killed around here.

And if you think its bad in bowseason, you should see Opening Morning of rifle season. The woods looks like a pumpkin patch and sounds like the fourth of July!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

It is interesting to say the least. In the areas that I hunt it would be hard to believe there were that many hunters, but there must be. I feel very lucky to have my own land
Old 11-14-2006, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

And if you think its bad in bowseason, you should see Opening Morning of rifle season. The woods looks like a pumpkin patch and sounds like the fourth of July!
You're not kidding! I am now lucky enough to hunt my fiances family farm. Its about 700 acres. During bow season the most hunters that will be out on it in a day is about 6 people. When gun season comes my fiances dad has to go and figure out who gave persmission for all the people that sign up to hunt. I figure there will be about 20 people on the farm tommorrow. This farm is below the shotgun/rifle line.

My parents own 50 acres of woods just north of the rifle line and I swear to god that I have heard machine guns going off on opening day. I never once saw a mature buck north of the rifle line.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I've read the same book (John Eberhart - Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails I believe?). Michigan, PA, WV are high pressure states. It's so bad in Mid Michigan right now that you just can't get away. I see bowhunters nearly every time I go into the woods. It doesn't matter if you're on state land or private land either. I have permission to hunt 2 private spots. One is 20 acreas and five people hunt there. The other is 80 acres and at least8 other people hunt there. Thats why you don't see too many big bucks killed around here.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you a 100% its gotten really bad where I hunt ever since word got out that my friend shot two big bucks last season everybody and their freaking family is there this year.
Before there was only seven bow hunters hunting 480 acres , now this year there's gotta be over 20 of them and you talk about pressure I haven't tag one yet.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

You all are preaching to the choir to a PA'ian [8D]....but I feel for ya...lol and that is only talking bowhunters per square mile, for PA, now add the small gamers, upland bird hunters, duck and geese hunters, earlier muzzleloader season, early senior/jr rifle doe season, turkey hunters and see where those numbers go and then wonder why PA bowhunters bitch. Taking a 2.5 year old here is like taking a 4.5 year old anywhere else...well sorta and anything older is rare and smart. Same goes for our turkeys, if you can kill a spring gobbler in PA, you can kill one anywhere in the country. You wanna talk pressure.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

on public land in ny its more like 40 people per square mile,
Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

rob spoke for PA......and i couldnt agree more. i think we got more hunters then deer and rob is also right...theres many bowhunters..but factor in ALL the other hunters in the woods and it makes things rough. gotta love PA....

spring turkey is redulous..its hard to find a bird that aint been called to and shot at..spooked off the roost and everything else.

gotta be thankful for the successful hunts around here thats for sure....
Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Spike

That's very interesting thanks for sharing. Here in S.D. it looks like you don't need to worry about other hunters in your area.

Quick Reply: Neat Statistics!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.