Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TREESTAND HUNTING TIPS PLEASE?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:52 AM

Default TREESTAND HUNTING TIPS PLEASE?

Howdy! everbody;

I was wondering if one of you good folks could help me out with a treestand hunting PROBLEM.

See the thing is I've been hunt'en this stand about three times now, I.ve all ready shot one small deer and seen about four nice bucks. I put my scent wicks out around my tree lke the scent manufacture suggest and I had two six pointers come within shooting range the one sniffed the scent wafer and kinda snorted then they both stood out at about 15 yards behind a tree and slowly walked out or sight withoutproviding a shot. I still see them around my stand but they won't come in shooten range. The larger bucks in the area do the same they come close to my stand and continue out of range. I am usiing doe in heat wafers and its the rut why will they not come closer. my stand is about 18 feet off the ground I do'nt believe they I have seen me I'veplenty back cover and wind in my face.

Do you all think I should move my stand out in the same area? Maybe they have patterned me entering and leaving the woods in that stand set up?

If they saw me the bigger bucks would not even come in around my stand would they? Yet! they only come within 50 yards or so no closer.

Do you think if I move my stand closer to the route they are traveling now or do you think I could get them in close enough for a shot.

God Bless/Safe Hunten!
Holler critter
Old 11-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TREESTAND HUNTING TIPS PLEASE?

Ok.

It all depends on the terrain you're hunting. Are you hunting big timber, draws, ridges, bottle necks, saddles? If those deer are continuously hanging up at 50 yds then they're working over a trail that you're just not set-up close enough to. If that's the case move up on 'em. But if I were you i'd get my stand up another 5 ' or so, in order to ensure that you don't get spotted. Also be very conscious about your wind. You don't want to get busted or your chances of shooting one of you big boys will go out the window. Good luck and good hunting, hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions bowtech;

To the questions about bottle necks, saddles and such the answer is yes and on a rub line close to bedding and feeding areas. Think if I would stay out of there for a week might help? I am about ten to 15 yards off a main travel route.

Just can't figure out what I doing wrong? Scent away carbon and all the like, still can not get them to come in any closer. Do you thinkone could have seen me in the treestand without me noticing and has started pattern my accent and decent from my stand?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM

Id start by trying it without the scent, I always use Tinks 69 during the rut and have had a little success with it, but mostly in scrapes. Seems this year, every deer Ive had get downwind of a scent bomb with scent in it they steer clear of it, and would rather avoid it than check it out closely, Ive only had one buck actually come in to it, and when he sniffed it closely, he got very nervous, and circled the area twice and left. I quit using the scent and just let them travel naturally and it got better. If they still are hanging up out of range I would move on them, and moving would be a good idea if they are seeing you in the tree, you only need to move 10 yards or so, if theyve patterned you, they are avoiding the tree your stand is in, so move it a little closer, and lose the scent wafers and see what happens. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, move in. I had clear signs of deer all around me and was able to takea doe one year and a doe the next. The same year I shot that second doe I realized after a while they stopped coming around me but I alsonoticed they came out of the timber and into the field in the same spot every morning and thenabout100 yds down the field they would go back into the timber and I wouldn't see them again. I decided to go to them and put my stand in the middle of their entrance and exit (I also noticed scrapes over there that I never seen before). It wasn't a week later that I shot my first Buck (nice 9 pt.) Good luck with that.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's been said that your best chance at getting a shot is your first time in the stand. That's been true for me 4 times this year alone.

Each time you hunt a stand, you will leave some sort of scent around and there's always a chance that some deer you may not even see, saw you. After you leave, deer will smell where you had been and may start avoiding the area. The other deer that saw you may alsol avoid the area or at least look in the tree before approaching it. I rotate my stands so that I don't hunt the same stand on consecutive days (unless it's an evening/morning hunt). I try to use each tree no more than once a week . . . or less.

Your problem could also be some human scent on your scent wicks. If you touched them at all, some human scent will be on them and that can cause problems as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I've killed 3 deer with the bow, this year. Each time....I was in that tree for th efirst time.

One of my teammates told me earlier this year, also......

I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AN AREA BEING UNDER-HUNTED

Think about that......

Jeff
Old 11-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

I was faced with the same problem this year. The first thing I did was tried a decoy.It had some good results on a few of the bucks in the area but not the ones I was looking for. Second thing I did was left the stand where it was and moved about 20 to 30yards with a climber. That helped also. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Move the stand, and leave the scent bombs at home, and make sure the wind is right. They know where you are.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

GET a harness and don't fall out!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: TREESTAND HUNTING TIPS PLEASE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.