Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

251 ks nontypical

Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Spike

Default 251 ks nontypical

It was in the Wichita paper, the guy shot it in Tongonoxie Kansas, just didnt know if anyone else heard of this. I will try to copy the paper and put it on here unless someone else has pics. he shot it last week. green scored 251 which would make it number 2 in ks.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:44 PM

Default RE: 251 ks nontypical

We've seen posts about it for the last few days, but no one seems to have the details.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Spike

Bow hunter lands one massive buck
Preliminary scores say deer may be one of the biggest killed in Kansas.
By BRENT FRAZEE
The Kansas City Star
Danny Salmon enjoyed his one moment of fame Monday.
The minute he pulled up to Cabela’s, the outdoors supply superstore in Kansas City, Kan., he was treated like a celebrity. Some people lined up to take his picture. Others couldn’t wait to hear his story.
That’s what happens when you take a buck like Salmon did — one of the biggest non-typical whitetails ever shot in Kansas by a bow hunter.
“There were about 20 people gathered around my truck, just waiting to take a picture of this buck,” said Salmon, 36, of Tonganoxie. “I guess I can’t blame them.
“If I went someplace and saw a deer like this in the back of a pickup, it would catch my attention.”
That huge buck, which had 21 points on its rack, was green scored (a preliminary measurement) at 251 by Cabela’s workers. That score takes into account a series of measurements of the antlers.
The rack still has to go through a mandatory 60-day drying period before it will be officially scored. And Kansas wildlife officials warn that the final score could look much different.
Still, Salmon’s deer will undoubtedly rank in the top 10 of the all-time biggest non-typical bucks taken by archery hunters in Kansas.
“Anytime you have a green score as high as 251, there are areas that are open to debate,” said Lloyd Fox, deer biologist for the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. “This deer will probably be scored by a panel of judges, and the final score could be quite different by the time it’s over.
“Still, to have a green score this high, it has to be a phenomenal buck.”
That’s the type of buck that has given Kansas national fame as a trophy-hunting destination — and the type of buck Salmon was dreaming of when he set out Monday morning after getting his kids to their school bus.
Like many bow hunters, he knows this is the magical time of the year. The rut is on. Trophy bucks, normally so secretive and wary, are letting their guard down as they chase does.
Salmon used that to his advantage Monday. Hunting on land not far from Tonganoxie, he sat in his tree stand and used a call to bring a doe in. Then he watched as the big buck, its nose to the ground, suddenly appeared, trailing the doe.
“I knew it was big,” Salmon said. “But I didn’t realize it was this big.
“It’s a good thing I didn’t. I would have been shaking so hard, I don’t think I would have gotten the shot off.”
But Salmon hit his target from 27 yards away and it dropped on the spot.
“I was set up in a funnel between a pasture and a bean field,” Salmon said. “I knew they used this area quite a bit, but I had no idea this land held a buck like this.”
“I just got permission to hunt this farm this year.”
Salmon, who has bow hunted for six years, had taken big bucks before, including one typical that scored 158 5/8 , but never one close to this.
“This is the deer of a lifetime,” he said. “This is that buck that every hunter dreams of taking.”
Old 11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Spike

HOPE THAT THIS HELPS, I DONT KNOW WHY THE WEBSITE DONT HAVE THE PICS. I WILL GET THEM UP ASAP
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waiting very impatiently. Please hurry.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here you go.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow...!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

D-D-D-D-D-DANG! That truck looks bottomed out, nice liscense plate by the way! That is a true MONARCH.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just crapped my pants.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unreal, that thing is a monster. Talk about the character with the double main beam.

Quick Reply: 251 ks nontypical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.