Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where and when to begin?

Old 11-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Where and when to begin?

I'm asking for some help from fathers or experienced hunters
and this starts with a short background to why I'm asking my quesion.

I am new to this site and I did not know where to start with this post and please forgive me if this shoud be posted in another category.

First of all, I am 23 years old and I'm an active bowhunter.This season willmake 6 years and in this time I havetaken 3 does and 2 bucks, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing and know there is still much to learn.I will get to my question in just a few minutesfor anyone reading this. I have a son who is about to turn 5 this comingFeb. My dad stoppedrifle huntingbefore I was 5 years old and I never had the oppertunity to learn the skills andnature of hunting. We moved to South East Kansas before I was in high school and there Ibecame friends with several hunters. When I was 18 I decided I wanted to bowhunt and had to teach myself many things on top of the tips I was recieving from friends. Now for my question: When do I begin sharing my hunts, knowledge and experiences with my son. I did not have the chance to go hunting with my father and I do not want to miss this great oppertunity with my son but I also do not want to rush it. I don't know what he should and shouldn't see while trying to help him enjoy the experience. He has been with me tothe places I hunt and we have watched several deer before and he just loves it. Iam really looking forward to bonding with my son and sharingmany stories with him in the future that only hunting can bring.I amasking for any input that some expierenced fathers and hunterscan provide. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where and when to begin

First welcome to the boards!!!! It does not matter how little or how much experience you have...everyone can continue to learn things and become a better hunter...so you are at the right place...listen to what these guys/gals have to say.

I am not a father...but i was brought up on hunting. I was fortunate to go on hunts early with my father.Hunts that i will forever remember.Now your son is 5 and i imagine he has a short attention span...so i would recommend going either squirrel or bird hunting first. This way he doesn't have to sit still and it can keep him occupied. Then once he gets a taste of the outdoors...maybe you could take him on a afternoon hunt in a blind...this way if he gets bored,he could maybe bring some coloring books or something to keep him busy...plus the blind will be roomy and he doesn't have to sit still, like in a treestand. Your are already off to a good start..he is showing an interest seeing deer. Good Luck...I am envious.. I look forward one day to have a child and share those experiences.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

my daughter turns 6 and we are going Turkey hunting this year. If he can sit still in a blind I say take the lad!

I was hunting at 5 with my family.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend passing the tradition on starting with small and "Easier" type hunts. Hunt after some squirrels, shoot some sparrows, or do some target shooting with a kid's bow. Just something to keep his interests, with plenty of action. Then once he gets older, expose him to more and more. Good luck, and keep up the good work!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM

I first took my son bird hunting. My wife said remember hes only 4.(yes dear)Well I had him carry a pop gun. As he got older it was on tobow hunting knowing well I would not get one, but at least he saw deer. Again these outtings where not very long. Then came gun hunting and he was 13 and I had him sit with me to see how he would react. He has been bow and gun hunting ever since.Well this friday he will be 21 man did the time fly. And yes we are going to be in the woods that day. Take it easy and see if he will enjoy the sport, if not thats ok to. My daughter is the bunny hugger. I let them know that it is ok to hunt but if they choose not to I understand. Good Luck to you
Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forums, and to answer the question....ASAP. Get him a pellet or BB gun and get him plinking tin cans in the yard. Just make sure there are no vehicle windows that could catch a ricochet....Yes, I am speaking from experience...[&:][&:]

It won't be long and he'll be wanting to tag along when he can. Get him a little kid's bow and just have fun. In short, there isn't an age to young to light thefire. My son killed his first squirrel when he was 7, old enough he could prove capable of handling the firearm on his own.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could teach him about the tracks and identifying them and looking for other animal sign, too.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Where and when to begin?

Welcome to the boards. That is best first post I have ever seen. Good luck and get that boy out there.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: isatarak

You could teach him about the tracks and identifying them and looking for other animal sign, too.
Great Idea!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM

I started duck hunting with my dad when i was 5 years old, and shooting when i was 6 or 7 with a 20 gauge. Before i started shooting my dad took me along just to capture the outdoors. Plus i learned a lot just from being out there. I would also say get him a kids bow if he wants one. That away he can shoot with you when you practice. Also take him scouting with you for turkey and deer. Just introduce him to the outdoors. Since you said he was interested i would take him along on an evening hunt. I think its never too early to get out there. One day he will be teaching you stuff...lol

Quick Reply: Where and when to begin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.