Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too many deer and this doe (pics)

Old 11-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too many deer and this doe (pics)

Well Saturday morning was pretty incredible. It was 26 degrees and dead calm, as I watched over 100 deer exit the alfalfa field and head my direction. As they made the 500 yard walk to the tall cottonwoods along the river bottom I made sure I was ready to go. I noticed 2 very nice bucks, one 8pt that would score in the mid 130's and a 7pt that was very similar. The herd split into two groups, one heading for my tree line, the others heading for my buddy.

The majority of the deer entered the wood patch about 100 yards from me, and milled around for quite a while. All the doescame through first, and I passed not wanting to scareaway the bucks.Then one by one, the bucks began to head towards my tree (I still don't know why). After 7 little bucks came and began feeding around my stand the two big boys headed my direction. They got to 35 yards,well within my comfortable shooting range, and ate bedded down behind a bush and I had no shot, even if I wanted to there were too many eyes around to draw. Eventually the little bucks wandered off and the two bigger ones followed, never offering a cleanshot... It was time for breakfast and I was pretty disappointed but I couldn't overlook how cool of a hunt it was.

Sunday morning was different, not as cold and very windy. I saw 22 deer only 11 of which were does, there was one nice buck that never got within 70 yards and all the rest were like the bucks in the video that is attached.

I shot the very first doe right at legal shooting hours and she went about 40 yards. The slick trick 100 is responsible for the exit wound (directly through the off side shoulder) at 20 yards. The blood trail could have been followed at a steady jog. She dressed out at 104lbs. It's amazing the size difference between deer that gorge themselves on alfalfa all day and deer that roam the woods in search of acorns. Anyway enjoy the pics

Little Bucks Video
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v411/dwd2001/?action=view&current=MVI_1471.flv

Old 11-12-2006, 10:59 PM

Default RE: Too many deer and this doe (pics)

Sounds awesome, dwd!

Congrats on the doe!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:13 AM

Way to go dwd2001. Congratulations. What no stick bow in your hand? What's up with that? Oh by the way nice Camo
Old 11-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice doe and cool video! Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:17 AM

very cool
Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

CONGRATS NICE DOE AND PICTURES
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Awesome job dwd, great photos and I love the looks of those trees with the grass's...reminds me of what I see on TV about Iowa...looks beautiful. Nice shot too, great little video. I have to figure out how to get mine uploaded, I have Kurt shooting his six on film and some monsters that'll make you eyes bug out, one in particular.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well done, ya gotta love the Slick Tricks. When I shot my Doe, she was at 32 yards, she went to 79 yards and piled up! I followed the blood trail from my tree stand!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, it was definitely a lot of fun.

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

Way to go dwd2001. Congratulations. What no stick bow in your hand? What's up with that? Oh by the way nice Camo
Thank you, the camo is beautiful. I had the stick bow in the truck but I didn't take it because my shoulder is so torn up that it kills me to shoot it, especially when it's cold. Not sure why but the compound doesn't hurt very badly.I go under the knife in late December.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have quite the spot there. Good luck with the 2 big bucks.

Quick Reply: Too many deer and this doe (pics)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.