Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 11-18-2002, 05:34 PM

Default What would you do?

I've been rifle hunting now for about 20 years. I just started bowhunting this year. Anyway, here is my dilemma. I have been hunting with the same people, on the same land for all 20 of those years. They kill everything they see. Dont get me wrong, we are always legal, and never poach, but they kill spike bucks, forkhorns, and immature bucks every year. With me just starting bowhunting, I would like to get the opportunity to kill a nice mature buck with my bow. How would you approach them and ask them to not shoot the immature bucks and wait for them to mature to insure bigger bucks the next season? The owner of the property has been a friend of the family for 30 some years, so I dont want to step on any toes.

Old 11-18-2002, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

Education. Show them every bit of info that you can on QDM. Most people, (myself included) were not anxious to start passing up bucks, but the prospect of having a healthier heard of big ones might be too much for them to pass up. If you have to start small, ask them to let all spikes go, shoot does instead, and take it from there.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:15 AM

Make sure everyone makes the committment, it takes several years to see success and it can be discouraging. (speaking from experience) But it is well worth it. As these bucks get older they get smarter and begin to turn nocturnal. Good luck education is the key, also you need to have a large enough place so the bucks don't get shot by your neighbors.

J. Shoot

Searching
Old 11-19-2002, 06:01 AM

Depends on what they are hunting for. I know too many people in my county that hunt because they need meat on the table not for the sport of it. But if this is not the case try and get to a QDM meeting, or grab some information on QDM. Some places the DEC will help you get started. I also agree with taking it slow. There are a ton of people in my area that are so proud of there herd, they are more than willing to show pictures they have taken, talk to you, even let you glass some of there property. Here is alike to the QDMA page -- http://www.qdma.org/ --
Old 11-19-2002, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are bowhunting you will get the chance to take a deer before they will be able to hunt.As far as getting them to change the way they hunt--good luck.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:41 AM

Lead by example. My club has 60 members, so it's a slow proceess. It'll never change for some of them, but some guys look at you funny when you come in and tell them you saw 2 small bucks, they can't figure out why you didn't shoot them. Soon they realize it's not that hard to actually let a deer walk pass, it's not the end of the world. Some catch on and realize the benefits, some never will. Not much you can do in an existing club.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"