Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Concerns

Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Concerns

It's no more dangerous hunting in rifle season with a bow than it is with a rifle. If you're going to be struck by a stray bullet, the mere fact that you're rifle hunting, as opposed to bow hunting, won't make a lick of difference. You're no less of an unlikely target just because you're holding a rifle in your hand.

Like Rick said earlier, if you're gonna get hurt bowhunting, it's far more likely to happen after a fall from a treestand, or maybe a soft tissue injury or a broken bone suffered on your way into/out of the woods. Maybe a slip on a rock or step in a groundhog hole with the extra weight of a treestand and daypack on your back - could lead to a serious "sports injury."

Definitely the most dangerous parts of the hunt are:
1.) Driving to the hunting location - either by automobile or ATV
2.) Climbing the tree
3.) Walking in/out and sustaining a fall
4.) Having a heart attack while dragging your deer

Being struck by a stray bullet is a far more remote possibility, and whether you have a rifle or a bow in your hand - it won't make a lick of difference.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Why don't you just go gun hunting durring the gun season and bow hunting durring the bow season? As was previously stated, here in Wisconsin, it is not even an option to bowhunt durring gun season. Even if it were, I would still do both. It gives you more opportunities to harvest a big buck, plus it gives you a chance to do something different for a while.
If you must go bowhunting at least wear blaze orange. I'ld wear it even if I was on private land. How do you know there is not someone hunting there that isn't supposed to be. Those are the type of people that shoot at sound or a flash of movement anyway. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:42 AM

I would wear my orange for sure it would really suck to get smoked by 30 06 by some kid with buck fever.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:07 AM

I have an orange vest, but I hunt from a ground blind. I was going to use orange tape around the top part of my ground blind..

My brother had told me about a man getting gunned down after being scoped twice... from 70 yards away, those people knew what they were shooting, that is what concerns my wife and I the most.