Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first year bow huntig need help?

Old 11-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Default first year bow huntig need help?

I have been hunting every week since the season opened,and I still don't have my deer yet. Can you all help. I have had deer all around me but not that close to shoot can you give me some hints please.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first year bow huntig need help?

most hunters are not going to kill a deer every year. There is a lot of good advice on this forum read though it to see what fits your situation
Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 PM

I just started this year too and have been out lots of weekends. I've only seen two deer while hunting and neither presented a shot. I know they are there because of all the sign, but I just don't see them much. I'm just going to keep trying.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

sign is always good to look for but spotting and glassing durring saylight hours can help alot in determining if the deer are actually using your area durring shooting hours or at night. try getting somewhere you can see along ways or if there are fields near by set-up on the edge of one might have to burn a day but this will usually give you an idea where the deer in your area are coming and going durring shooting hours.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you have the basic rules of bowhunting down (scent control, wind direction, stand location, and shot placement). Hunt near Bedding areas, Stay off the deer trails! And approach your stand from down wind no matter how far you have to go out of your way, and sooner or later youll get your shot. Dont over hunt the same spot!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 PM

I don't know how he approaches the stand. The deer travel our property pretty regular. We are right next to a county park, and they like to come out and eat in the hayfield next door.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:44 PM

1. DO NOT overhunt a stand. The deer pattern you, and will avoid it. Mix things up. Move the stand, come in a different route, come in a different time.....stuff like that.

2. While you're moving your stand, don't be afraid to move right in on them. If you see them consistently in an area, jump right in on it. But be careful, again, they will pattern you and know you are there.

3. Hunt the wind, period. I don't care what measures you take to avoid detection, don't mess w/a questionable wind.

4. Hunt food sources. If you want does, hunt where the food is, you'll smoke one.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

There is not a quick and easy solution to getting a deer with a bow. A lot of things must happen or you simply will not be successfull. Scent control and hunting a favorable wind are important above all else. If they smell you a lot of times you will not even know it and you just won't see any deer. A deer lives and dies by its sense of smell.

You also must hunt an area where the deer are going to be or are going to. This is a food source or a bedding area. I prefer food sources in the evening and bedding areas in the morning. The best way to do this is to find the travel route between the two and hang a stand there. Of course this is all easier said than done. You have to learn the lay of the land you are hunting and figure it all out.

Deer hunting is filled with hours of boredom and seeing nothing from the stand. When you finally tag a deer it is worthwhile. Using myself as an example, I've been out 22 times to bowhunt for deer so far this year, have over 95 hours in a tree stand and I only have 1 deer, a spike, to show for it. In those 95 hours, I've learned a lot about my land and what I want to do to it for next season. I've learned a lot about the deer themselves also. Just keep being out there and eventually the conditions will allow you a shot if you do your part. There are no guarantees, but persistance usually pays off.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:34 PM

the deer are there just put your time in and enjoy the woods.. you dont have to come home with an animal to have a successful hunt because everytime you are in the woods you see somthing you never seen before..
Old 11-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Assuming you have the basic rules of bowhunting down (scent control, wind direction, stand location, and shot placement). Hunt near Bedding areas, Stay off the deer trails! And approach your stand from down wind no matter how far you have to go out of your way, and sooner or later youll get your shot. Dont over hunt the same spot!
can't really say it much better than that!