Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a sad, sad sight.......pics!

Old 11-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: What a sad, sad sight.......pics!

I agree with some of the others. Put him down before the coyotes get him.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:35 AM

Hey, How bad are his back legs? What about seeing if your local vet could work on him for free to fix the legs. Maybe they could tranquilize it and maybe fix the leg and release him when he is healed.Then get him in a couple of years. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think keeping an eye on him is the right move for now. If its just 1 bad leg, he can live fine. If it turns out he has 2 broken legs, yea he'd be better off taken out. It's not an easy situation either way.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The boy scout

Hey, How bad are his back legs? What about seeing if your local vet could work on him for free to fix the legs. Maybe they could tranquilize it and maybe fix the leg and release him when he is healed.Then get him in a couple of years. Good luck.
Sorry bud, can't be done. Are you gonna donate the $10,000 or so it would take to pull it off? Remember that this is a wild deer. If you got it on it's feet it would probably tear itself up again trying to get away from you. Everytime you would need to change a dressing or give it medication it would have to be tranquilized. That is a feel good suggestion, but one that is not possible. I don't think you understand the way nature functions in the real world.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I think keeping an eye on him is the right move for now. If its just 1 bad leg, he can live fine. If it turns out he has 2 broken legs, yea he'd be better off taken out. It's not an easy situation either way.
I agree. Besides an animal that has an encounter that has caused the results shown here may often just need a day or two to get their wits about them again and learn to cope with their injury. However, you should check him as close as possible, if possible, because if it is two broken legs, he really doesn't have a chance. good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 11:16 AM

just me I would have proably shot him he proably will not make it if you ask me
Old 11-12-2006, 12:14 PM

Saved a deer that had it's hind leg caught in a fence on our property a couple years back. Apparently she had tried to jump over the fence and her rear leg got caught up in the squares. In her strugle to get loose, she broke her leg, about in the spot you described.

I noticed she was stuck, grabbed the bolt cutters, and cut the fence away from her foot. After the fence was cut, I pulled her leg out and set it gently to the ground. (By this time she was too worn out to freak out and run.)

She layed down in the grass around the fence.

I came back the next day and she had moved about 100 yards further along the fence.

The next weekend I came up one evening to glass the fields and noticed a doe come out that was limping, but otherwise moving along just fine.

I think just keeping an eye on him is a good idea, just as long as its only one leg thats broken. Deer are amazing animals and can live through quite a bit.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

if hes having that much trouble moving around hes probably a lot more messed up then you think. ive seen deer get there legs shot off and run around just fine actually saw one this year spotting. he was probably hit even if hit in the back he may have smashed his horn off on the road or the car doesnt mean itd kill him. id call the game commission just so you dont cause yourself anytrouble.