Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Problems with other hunters.... Flat tire

Old 11-11-2006, 08:47 AM

Default Problems with other hunters.... Flat tire

So this morning went out huntin. Got on the stand and was there about 15 minutes early. I know there is another guy out there and he was already there and out of his truck and in the woods. So this happens every weekend and i dont think the guy is happy with this. Further, i leave after about 3.5 hours of morning hunting and he is still on stand. His stand though is about 40 yards in the woods where we park our cars. So i leave and his is still on stand and i dont think he likes this. Well,

Today i got to my car and my tire was low...Not thinking anything it i drove home and when i got there i could hear the telling sound of a tire goin flat....There was a brand new screw in my tire and it was flush to the tire, not like i would have run over it.

The other guy was by my car and i could see only the front half of my car and i could see him checkin my permit, which he never has displayed his which we must do as we are in a metro zone.

The other kicker is that he hunts in an illegal spot. We have to be at least 100 yards from a neighbors property. He is at most 35 yards from the border. Definatly illegal. I know why he hunts there as it is where the deer cross the road and there are about 20 big rubs there, but i have never hunted there as it is an off limits area. ITs also a bedding area and i figure i should be close to it but not in it.

Finally this guy has only been there since about the 1st of Nov.

Came in just as the rut activity was startin...

What do i do????
I am headed to talk to the land owner to night to see if he knows the guy.

Thanks
Pines
Old 11-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Spike

Default RE: Problems with other hunters.... Flat tire

Talking the to the land owner is defiantely a must...

My first instinct is to confront the guy, but, these days, you never know.....
Old 11-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I noticed a screw in my rear tire about a month or so ago, don't know how it got there, but as soon as I removed it the tire started to leak. Took it off and plugged it up. I hunt on my own land that I drive to and unlock a gate for access with my SUV. I always worry about someone seeding the area, just because I have "POSTED" signs up, to puncture my tires, but what can I do? We aware of things.

The only thing is too be check out your vehicle before you leave it and write down plates of others that are parked near it. Check it again when you leave and note which ones are still there. Messing with someone's vehicle is something I consider off limits, but many people these days don't have any ethics, so they will do what they can get away with.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:30 AM

you just dont mess with a mans truck...that should be a law. if i found someone valdalized my truck while i was hunting id hook my tow strap up and take their truck for a ride, but thats just me because im young and the one thing i take pride in is my truck that i work hard for to have and keep nice!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM

There's no way to know for sure if that screw was put there by the guy or not. If say there were 4 screws 1 in each tire then yeah he probably did do it. That not being the case, you could've easily picked up that screw anywhere enroute to your hunting spot. I myself would dismiss that and just consult the landowner about him breaking the law. Of course then, there could be retaliation from him considering you'd be a likely suspect as the guy who "ratted" him out.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:38 PM

If I were going to mess with someones vehicle I wouldn't put a screw in it. The guy is most likely carrying a knife, why not use that. Or just pull the valve core out (I've done it to poachers). Unless you can prove he did I wouldn't say a thing. Because if he did you will most likely just stir up more crap, and if he didn't you will really offend him.

If you don't think he cares for you now, imagine what accusing him of something he didn't do will do. That is my biggest pet peeve, someone saying I did something I didn't do. If you don't KNOW he did, like you caught him doing it there isn't much you can do.

As far as going to the land owner, depends on your land owner. The last place I hunted (4 of us leased it for a very decent price) and the place I hunt now just don't want to hear it. The first guy told us flat out, if we have any problems to work it out between us or whoever is causing it. If we come crying to him stirring up crap he will just boot us all off and post NO HUNTING signs. The new place I hunt pretty much echoed that. They just don't want the hassle.

As far as the spot he is hunting, I don't know how your law reads, but in Michigan we have a simular law where you need to be a specific minimum distance from any building OR have permission. So if it is alright with the people that own the other property he is not doing anything wrong.

If you had to be 100 yards from a neighboring property where I live you would never be able to hunt, there just isn't that much open land around here. We can hunt on a fence line if we want. As long you have permision to retrieve your game.

Paul
Old 11-11-2006, 02:54 PM

This is the exact wording from your states hunting regulations, so if he has permision from the land owners he is alright, or 100 yards from a domicile, not just the property line.

It is illegal to:

Shoot a firearm within 100 yards of a building devoted to human occupancy while on lands you do not own (including public lands) without the permission of the owner or occupant of that building.

I know your frustrated, but I would not go accusing people of things that are not illegal or that they haven't done unless you know the law and prove they did it. It will backfire every time I promise.

I would suggest talking with the guy and telling why you hunt when you do. Tell him your truly sorry if it bothers him, but it's the only time you can find time to hunt. Let him know your not lazy, you just have other priorities and commitments that have to come first. If he doesn't like it I guess he should work on purchasing his own land so he can hunt it the way he wants to.

My take on it anyway.

Paul
Old 11-11-2006, 04:16 PM

Well I never did accuse the guy....I guess i ment to make this two differnt things. The screw found out it wasa young girl who did it...She hates that there are hunters in the area.

The state does have the 100 yards from a building....But the city of Mequon has the law that a hunter must have the permission of the land owners who are the two ajoining properites if they wish to hunt or "Discharge a weapon"within the 100 yard zone. This is because we hunt with in city limits.

It is not state it is a local city law

Pines