Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How cold is to cold for you to Bow hunt??

Old 11-16-2006, 06:36 PM

Default RE: How cold is to cold for you to Bow hunt??

I have been out when its below zero before. I wear insulated overalls and a parka and stick to the ground blind if windy. I also discovered on of the best inventions ever this year - boot insulators. For me, cold feet has always been the biggest problem in not wanting to sit any longer. But throw a heater pack in each boot and strap those insulators over your boots when you get to your destination and your feet are toasty all day!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 PM

hmm..... coldest ever was after a system passed jan. before last... -10 in the morning with -25 windchill 5 during the day -12 windchill........... i saw more deer in that one day then i saw all year i love cold weather
Old 11-16-2006, 07:54 PM

I think coldest for me was around around 10F. Haven't dipped below the 0 mark yet but it doesnt get that cold too often here.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll let you know next sunday when I get back from my caribou hunt.

Last New Years eve was last day of the season, I sat from 1/2hr before sunrise to 1/2hr after sunset in a tiny lock-on stand. It snowed, was probably -10c, I climbed down once to get the blood flowing, was back up there 20min later. I couldn't accept the fact that deer season was ending.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Banned

I have bow hunted in extreme cold here in IA. 20 Fbelow. Many days at 0 F with a terrible wind chill.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

I think today was one of the coldest days I have been in. I don't mind the cold ora little rainbut when there is wind mixed in, that's when it hurts. It was 31 degrees F. when I left the house and had 20 mph winds coming in from the North. Don't really know what the wind chill was but I was able to stick it out for 4 1/2 hours. My feet told me to head back. It wasn't so bad as I was watching a small buck chase a doe around the field but once they took off, it was cold and lonely.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, since my camo is only good down to about 30 or maybe 20-25, and its just regular coveralls that I've had forever that I put camo bibs on over them.AND I have no insulated boots yet, I don't hunt in the cold weather. and I get crap from my friends for not hunting enough, but when you have no money to buy the stuff, you cant go out in cold weather very good!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep about -12F with a wind chill around -20 after that the bow starts makeing all kinds of sounds.. Walt
Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 AM

It was about 35 this morning and that was really cold!!! You guys are crazy sitting out in any temp that starts w/a (-) sign.

Didn't see anything either.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 AM

The coldest I have ever hunted was 20* F. I don't get to hunt as much as I would like but I think this weekend will be extremely cold. Im expecting at very least low teens. We'll see though...

Quick Reply: How cold is to cold for you to Bow hunt??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.