Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How cold is to cold for you to Bow hunt??

Old 11-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Spike

Default RE: How cold is to cold for you to Bow hunt??

Depends if I have a tag or not!!!

Zero degrees F is my limit with no wind, with a strong wind, probably 10 degrees will only allow me to last about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:55 AM

I dont know even on the coldest days around here I hunt but that is with the rifle since it is season
Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

But here in Missouri, it don't get quite as cold as you northerners, eh?
Yah der eh!, no joke, I actually heard that from a U.P.'er when we were up there riding sleds.

Coldest hunt I was ever on was gun season '85 or 86'. I was two years out from carrying a gun but I was lookout for my grandpa, sitting in a box on a ridgetop in western WI with a 20mph North wind. -40 or better with the wind chill, THAT IS FREAKIN' COLD!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

When it gets around in the 20's and below thats when it's too cold for me .
I can't standthe cold and if I'm in my strand or blind and I get to the point where I can't stop shaking or shivering , thats whe I pack it up and head for home.
I ordered a HEATER BODY SUIT and I can't wait to get it , hopefuly that will keep me warm enough to spend more time in the woods hunting.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Spike

The colder.....the better!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

The coldest so far I've been out in is about 30 degrees F, but this is my first year bowhunting and it only stayed like that for a few hours. I couldn't see myself staying out for very long if it's much colder than that with no wind. If there is a lot of wind to increase the windchill to the point where my feet and hands are REALLY numb, I'm gone. There is a limit as to how big your gloves are and how thick your support arm is before there are sting interference problems.

Today, right now it's in the 70's as I type this here in VA, I didn't go out because of the heat. I'm praying for cold weather, even though I hate it when it's too cold.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Theres no such thing as too cold.

I hunted in -7 degree temperatures last year.

When I went to get down after hunting all morning, my glove had frozen to the grip of my bow.

I spit and it hit the platform of my stand. Before it could drip down to the ground below, it froze solid.

If I've got a tag in my pocket, I'm going to be in the woods at every opportunity.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

When I went to get down after hunting all morning, my glove had frozen to the grip of my bow.
Been there!! Really sucks when your full face mask freezes tothe icicles in your mustache and you pull it off too fast!! [&:]

Tim
Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like to enjoy my hunts....sitting in 10degree weather or less for 5 hours isnt exactly enjoyment but i have done it....probly 0 degree farenheit
Old 11-12-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

-20 and that was COLD! It was on a windy day up on top of the "ridge stand" so i dono how cold that woulda made it with adding the wind.

Quick Reply: How cold is to cold for you to Bow hunt??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.