Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Scent controll???

Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade Scent controll???

Awhile back somebody posted a link to a recipie for making your own scent spray using distilled water, hydrogen peroxide,baking powder, and scent free shampoo.Anybody here ever made a batch of this stuff and used it? If so, does it work?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Homemade Scent controll???

16 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide (some say NOT to use the kind from the grocery store in the brown bottle, but rather the "industrial strength" you get from a pool store...if you use the latter, you'll need to use more distilled water)
16 oz. Distilled Water
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 oz. unscented liquid soap
Mix in a bowl,pour into a jug. let it set several days with NO LID on it because it will react and needs to vent.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

No users? I guess I will not try this then.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:44 PM

Don't be too quick to discount that, it's a slow night in here and there just haven't been many people to respond. This question pops up in here rather frequently, and there are quite a few here that use it with success.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

I jus made some only I Boiled a pot full of pine needles and then added the rest of the ingrediants I'll let you know how it works I hope so because I am going broke buying so much scent spray I am on my 5th jug bear in mind our bow season starts 15 sept till 31 dec and I hunt 3-5x a week so it's gettin to cost a bit much
Old 11-11-2006, 05:00 PM

That's the recipe I used this year and after using it I will continue to do so for the coming years. It's cheap and it seemed to work, I had a small 8 pointer walk the same path I took to my treestand only 15 minutes previously and he didn't know a thing.

I've never heard of this "industrial strength" hydrogen peroxide. Can someone fill us in on this, the stuff at the grocery store is 3%

Old 11-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kinny

I've never heard of this "industrial strength" hydrogen peroxide. Can someone fill us in on this, the stuff at the grocery store is 3%
The "industrial strength" variety is 30% hydrogen peroxide sold by swimming pool chemical suppliers and is hazardous to handle , the 3% stuff from the grocery storeworks justfine .
Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 PM

Here is the link to one of the postings:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1718477&mpage=1&key=&#171899 2
Old 11-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

I use it, don't see any difference from the store bought stuff, except its a lot lot lot cheaper. I had a doe walk in on my trail tonight.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

If the industrial stuff is 30% and hazardous verses the grocery store @ 3% how is diluting it to 15%going tomake it safe?????????? your talking 16oz of each liquid 1 to 1

Quick Reply: Homemade Scent controll???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.