Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why are fawns still with does?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default why are fawns still with does?

I have been out a last couple nights.And both timesI have seen a doe with both of her little ones. They seem to be sticking pretty close to her. Tried the can bleat, they just look and justgo about their business.

I have seena buck chasing a doe across the cornfielda few days ago. I used estrus bleat. The doe came back out of timber and around to my stand and stood at the bottom of my ladder.The whole time the buckwould not come out of the timber. But he keeps grunting about every 45 sec.She sniffed around for a few minutes. A she leaves she looksback and upat me then looks around, again aminute later. Then shetakes a big o'le leakat bottom of stand. Then I "LET" hertrot away up the edge of timber. The buck (small 6)is following her, but still on inside of timber edge.

Maybe something scared both of them out of the other timber and he was just following her....[&:]

Other than that......Nothing. Has been warmer last couple days. Maybe that slowed things up?

Anybodyelse in Illinos seeing anything? Let me know when these deer are suppose to be running all day!

Thanx
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: why are fawns still with does?

Don't know if you're in southern Illinois or Northern. Here in southern Missouri, the does still have fawns. But I've also seen a couple groups of fawns by themselves. From what I've seen in my area, the does are almost all in, and the bucks are chasing, but it should peak about this weekend. By the way, I watched a nice 9 point scent checking does about two weeks ago and he was definately ready, but they were still bunched up. I haven't been seeing the big groups of extended doe families for about a week. That coupled with a sudden increase in buck sightings, makes me think that we're going to hit it right this weekend. Tomorrow is the gun opener here in MO. I also saw a doe and two fawns together wednesday evening, but no bucks. I don't think that just because her fawns were with her she wasn't about to come in, she just hasn't been "discovered" by a lonely buck yet.

Good luck.

GH
Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Site Buck Guru

Does always stay with their fawns. I believe that they disperse the buck fawns more in the spring when they are getting ready to drop their new fawns. The daughters are welcome to stay and usually give birth to their fawns nearby. This is how the doe family units are formed. Does hang around together with their female offspring and their offspring and of course their own new offspring. The only time they need or want a buck around is in the fall. Even then, she only wants him around for about 36 hours and that's it!

BTW, it is a good sign when you see a bunch of bewildered fawns hanging around. This means that their mothers are being pursued or in the company of a buck. Sometimes they're nearby. So maybe a fawn distress call will bring them out of the woodwork and closer to your stand.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2006, 03:56 AM

What Greg said!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys,

GregHthanks for the info. Now that you mention It, Ithink I remember hearing that a long time ago. I was thinking all fawns, maybe it was the buck fawns I heard.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Easy target, you shall eat well.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Funny you say that , I live in central,ma i was out tonight and saw a doe with a fawn and was asking myself the same question.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm just gonna say what I see here all the time.....

Around here....the fawns stay with the does....I would assume....for life. I see the same doe groups ...with added fawns from the previous season.....just getting bigger. What I see with the buttons is....the mothers running them off in Sept. I saw several lone button bucks this year (All this year's fawns). I still see doe fawns with their mothers all the time. I know several of these doe "families" by when and where I see them.

Just my observations.

jeff