Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Local news puts carbon clothing to the test!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Local news puts carbon clothing to the test!

To be false advertising, they would have to make a promise that they couldn't fulfill.

To say "Forget the wind, just hunt" is just a simple statement that could be given to someone by anyone and means nothing.

The scent suits are a unique product. There is no way they can claim that they completely eliminate scent. On the other hand, there is no way anybody can prove without a doubt that they don't work at all. It's up to each of us to decide. People who believe it works, truly believe it, they are happy with it so good for them. People who don't believe it have the freedom to not buy it. I have some I have picked up along the way that I bought on sale. I don't use it all the time and I don't know if it really helps or not. I kill good deer with and without it. It is still good hunting clothing so I will wear it and get use from it.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what I've found out from personal experience:

1: Carbon clothing helpds a little, but isn't worth the money

2: The only real way to get past a deer's nose is wash your clothes in scent free detergent. Take them straight from the drier to the plastic bags. Those clothes can't get any air in the bag. The only thing your clothes should touch is either plastic or leaves. Don't ever open that bag unless you're in the field away from your truck (due to exhaust).

3: Before the hunt get up early and shower. Use all your scent free detergent and soap. Wear clothes that you washed in your scent free detergent to wear in the truck. Then when you get to the woods, exchange those clothes with the ones in the bags.

Here's a few other things that I've found that actually help as well. If you chew, do it on stand. It helps mask your breath. Seriously. It actually helps. I chew apple skoal and i've found it helps. Those deer won't react to that smell because it's not exactly a foreign smell. It helps a little but still not completely effective.

You still MUST watch the wind. It's not a choice. You have to sit in stands that you're not going to get busted in. IF you're in a spot where deer come from every direction HUNT HIGH. Get 30 feet up that tree or you'll get busted.

If you really want to get away with it, you have to be completely anal about scent control. My brother has been using this technique for the past 4 years and hasn't gotten busted yet. Works for us and is the only thing i've ever seen, or system, that actually works. Give it a try and happy hunting.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, well put.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Banned

All clothing on your body, whether carbon or not ,helps to hide your body odor. I dress in many thin layers when possible so that there are several layers for the odor to have to go through. The point to be made is that the carbon can't be reactivated in the dryer, the clothing has very little carbon sprinkles in it, and the dogs found a person in a tight wooden box with only a small airhole in it. Not to mention they throw a huge price tag on it because it has a light sprinkling of carbon in it. There are carbon sprays like carbon blast that can be sprayed on your clothes if you think carbon is the answer for a fraction of the cost of these clothes. At least a spray like carbon blast is active once applied.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh I agree carbon can't be reactivated in the dryer. Carbon has to be heated to something like 1200 degrees to be reactivated.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you all smelled the scent free soaps? They smell like something to me. If I can smell it what will the deer do?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah I've smelled scent free soaps, and I know what you're saying, there is some sort of odor. The thing is I've used it with consecutive results. I don't know what that smell is, but the deer don't mind it, I will tell you that. I've used the plan that i talked about earlier and it's never failed me yet. Try it and find out for yourself, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I dont pay the money for scent loc. I can make my own in my lab for a fraction of the price. I impregnate my own clothes with activated carbon. It will not eliminate human odor, but I like the idea of reducing as much as possible. Besides, most our odor comes from our mouth.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Bow tech
I have the same regimine except the chew thing. Dont know about chew, but ive seen snuff spook deer. Ive seen deer wind a spot where a snuf dipper spit, and ran the deer off. I have buddies that dip and they see far less deer than I when they hunt. It has got to the point they do not dip on stand, and rinse their mouths out real good with backing soada and water before hitting the field.

Chew might be different, but I wouldnt trust it. I guess it also depends on what part of the country you live in. If the deer smell natural tobacoo, it might make a difference. Not much of it growing here in Texas.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was my clothes in baking soda and I have used the Scent away soap. After washing my clothes they go into my plastic container where I cut small pieces of grass and trees from the area I hunt and place in there with one of those smelly dirt discs. This method works for me. I had 8 deer and 4 coyotes downwind of me yesterday.

Quick Reply: Local news puts carbon clothing to the test!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.