Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why does this never happen to me?

Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why does this never happen to me?

My buddy Jim is as old-school as they get when it comes to hunting. In his world you don't shot does, you don't shoot small bucks, and you don't hunt until the rut. That's just how it is. You go after big bucks and only big bucks.

There's no such thing as scent control, fancy new bows, fancy new camos, or any of the other modern type stuff that we get all hyped up about. Put on your old faded camo, sit in a ladder stand, and whack big bucks. That's Jim in a nutshell.

So anyways, ol' Jimmy decides that it's November 5th so he's gonna finally get out and do some dee hunting. He grabs his bow and heads out his back door into the back of his lot through which the Kishwaukee River runs. With his hip boots on he walks across the river and before he can ascend the steep bank on the other side he sees a large buck, not 20 yards away, looking the opposite direction. He knocks an arrow, stands up, and puts one through the boiler room. The deer runs 50 yards and piles up.

So let me sum this up for you all - Jim hasn't hunted a single day all year until this day, he hasn't made it 80 yards from his back door and isn't even in his stand yet, and he whacks a monster. What luck!

I'm thinking about putting on my rubber gloves and fishing that horseshoe out of his butt in prepration for this weekend!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Why does this never happen to me?

OMG...that is hillarious!! How in the world to people do that? Is that not the most frustrating thing? I mean, we work our tails off all year long to get a crack at one those.....unreal.

Anyway, congrats to Jim, that is certainly a nice buck.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow thats unbelievable. congrats 2 your friend.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am glad he is your friend, I do not even know him and I already do not like him!!!

My Dad is the same way, but it has finally caught up with him. He is on a serious dry spell!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've got a friend like that... he could get a big buck in a supermarket parking lot, he's so lucky!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go, what a great hunt! Conrgats to ol' Jimmy.

I knew a guy with the same luck. He could go out at the end of gun season in the middle of the afternoon and kill the biggest buck in the county within an hour. Unreal.

I think my son may have stumbled into this arean as well - a little over an hour of his very first hunt of his life he bagged a doe!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

That disturbs me [8D]
Old 11-09-2006, 09:35 AM

Man thats a good buck
Old 11-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

hmmm makes you think huh.....a lot of things are overrated, but also true is some guys really do have luck, and i would rather be lucky than good any day I am in the woods congrats to him the gods like him. perhaps they can sense respect.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow what luck! I have to start early in the season Scouting , Practicing, Sweat like a dog, Freezemy but off when it get cold?
And here is your friend that just walks out the back doorsashay`s down the trail and pops a monster and back in the house before his coffee most likely even got cold. (I would like the chance to talk to your old buddy."But if i ever do I`m bringing a note pad!

Quick Reply: Why does this never happen to me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.