Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Happened ?

Old 11-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Default What Happened ?

Hey,

This is my first post and my first year hunting deer. I'm hunting in Canada, Manitouline Island to be exact.

I've seen a lot of deer, but all 1st year deer or doe's. No bucks to date. Last weekend I had a 1st doe in my sites and I wasn't sure if I should take it down as it was a little small as I was thinking about it, it seemed to have noticed something to my right as its eating my apples (i'm 14feet up in a stand). I then t hink to myself, what could be there.. The doe taps its feet twice on the ground and slowly walks away.. About 5 minutes later I see a diffrent doe, much bigger in the field in front of my snorting loudly and running up and down the feild. Why did the doe freak out ? was it me ? was there another deer to my right ?

Also, why does it seem like my father and his partner see all the bucks. I've been hunting every weekend for 6 weeks and have yet to see a buck. They've both gotten bucks and they've seen a good 6 each.. Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks for your time.
Cory
Old 11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Happened ?

Can't answer as to why you haven't seen any bucks, just happens that way sometimes; however, I would recommend getting up at least another 5-6 feet. I like to be at least 20 ft up in my climber. I have a 15ft ladder stand that I don't really use unless there is plenty of foliage to help conceal me. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your dads seeing bucks, why dont you see if he wants to switch stands for a day since he already got a buck. Hopefully that would give you a chance at getting a shot. I also agree you may want to go another 5 or so feet higher, and dont forget to be scent free, and use cover scents. Good Luck.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

You got busted by those does , they ether saw you move or they winded you and if you wanna see bucks you gotta go where they are.
Ask your dad some questions about buck bedding areas and the travel routes they use and get up a little higher than you are now , 15 or 16 feet isn't good enough you need to be at 20 or more and by the way welcome to the forums.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys... Much appreciated. I'm going to build a second stand next year to get me up to 20ft... As for the bucks I have switched stands with my dad and the day we switched he saw another buck, but wasn't able to shoot.. this next weekend is our last of the season, I may take down a smaller doe if worse comes to worse this weekend.. I really want to get my first deer.