Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Exclusively bowhunting?

Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Exclusively bowhunting?

How many of you hunt deer exclusively with a bow? I've always hunted the MZ season with bow - been successful the last 5 years. A few years ago, I also now hunt the modern firearms season using only my bow - I've had success then too with some passed opportunities as well.

Anyone else?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Exclusively bowhunting?

For the last threeyears since I moved to IL. i have only hunted deer with my bow. However, I will be going home to WV to visit family over thanksgiving. This is the same time rifle season is open in WV. I may pickup the ole 30-06 just to be able to get out into the woods with my old man. I miss having him as my hunting and fishing partner.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

This is my first year of bowhunting...but the only way that I am pretty well guaranteed a deer for my freezer is to also rifle hunt. I have been out probably 20 times so far during bow season and put a friend in my stand. He hit a buck but didn't get it. I always think to myself that if I would have been there I would have gotten it...but you never know.

Long story short, rifle season starts this weekend and I am ready to fill the freezer!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Why would I limit myself like that ? I love gun hunting , bow hunting is fun too but pretty much a season extender for me .
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not bashing gun hunting. I gun hunted andfor deer for over nearly 30 years and before going "bow only." My freezer is usually overstocked well before gun season starts and I feel far more satisfied taking a deer with a bow, so I go this route. If gun hunting trips your trigger, that's fine with me.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:32 AM

If I had a deer at this point, it would be different, but I've not gotten one yet, so I will be picking up my muzzleloader come Nov. 18. I've hunted harder this year than all of the last 3 years combined so far and I've had more opportunities that I screwed up for whatever reason... I've had the chance to shoot 4bucks so far this year with my bow... couldn't draw on one, shot under the other, and turned around too late for the other two which were within 5-10 yards of my stand. My bad.

I would LOVE to be able to hunt exclusively with my bow, but my freezer is hungry, one deer (hubby's) isn't enough to fill it's belly. Besides that, I'm 6 weeks out from delivering this baby girl and my body is telling me to slow down a little, so I'm hoping I will have one within the next 3 weeks so I can kick back for the last few weeks of this pregnancy. My back doesn't handle the hours of sitting very well right now. []
Old 11-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will make this my 1st year bow only for deer. I will gun hunt hogs.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck Huntin Girl

If I had a deer at this point, it would be different, but I've not gotten one yet, so I will be picking up my muzzleloader come Nov. 18. I've hunted harder this year than all of the last 3 years combined so far and I've had more opportunities that I screwed up for whatever reason... I've had the chance to shoot 4bucks so far this year with my bow... couldn't draw on one, shot under the other, and turned around too late for the other two which were within 5-10 yards of my stand. My bad.

I would LOVE to be able to hunt exclusively with my bow, but my freezer is hungry, one deer (hubby's) isn't enough to fill it's belly. Besides that, I'm 6 weeks out from delivering this baby girl and my body is telling me to slow down a little, so I'm hoping I will have one within the next 3 weeks so I can kick back for the last few weeks of this pregnancy. My back doesn't handle the hours of sitting very well right now. []

and THEY SAY WOMEN ARE THE WEAKER SEX!!!!!! IF I were a pregnant female i would be kicked back and hubby would be doin all thaem chores by himself LOL save all your energy for huntin
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM

Bow and traditional style muzzleloader once in a great, great while during rifle.
The rifle is for emergency situations only, such as coyotes, racoons, etc, etc.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

BHO!

Quick Reply: Exclusively bowhunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.