Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Broadheads

What are the differences between 100 and 125 grain broadheads? Which do you all prefer and why? I shoot a Bear Whitetail Legend with a 31 inch draw and 65 pounds if that may help. When I first started shooting I got some 125 gr. practice tips so I got 125gr. broadheads once season opened and since then I broke a few while practicing and when I went to Wally World to replace them all they had in stock were 100gr. so I got them. I took them out today and practiced with them thinking there might be a big difference. I broke one in my target while pulling it out and also bent 2 arrows from knocking the target box over and it bounced on the arrows sticking out. I will be going to replace my arrows but would like your advice on which grain broadhead you think is better so I can get more or different while at the store. Thanks,
Brandon
Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads

Use the same size broadhead as you do field point. I use an 85 grain, and it is amazing. I would say for your bow, 100 grain would be best.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, if I do change to a different size I will also use the same size for my field points. When I got the 125's it was for no special reason, I was new to this so it is what I got, and they were cheap. I didn't want to spent too much being I didn't know if I would even like bowhunting. Well, I love it so want to make sure I get the best (that I can afford atleast!). So now I am open to why one size is better than others and will go with the best choice.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Three hours and only one response? Come on guys/gals, all you bowhunters and no-one has a reason why one size is better for the other? Please help me out!!!!!! bassfisherman711, thank you,
Brandon
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 PM

i shoot muzzy 100 grain 3 blades. i pull 27 inches and 65 lbs
Old 11-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Honestly, it's personal preference. Some people like a bigger grain broadhead because there is more weight, and more of a shock when it hits the animal. I use 100 grain and that's because it's what i feel is best for my bow setup. Also it depends on the game. A lot of bigger game needs a bigger grain broadhead to get more of a shock on such a big animal. I hope this helps a little. If not im sure someone else can explain it better.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you guys, yes that is helping. Everyone else keep them coming. Just looking for the reason why you all shoot the size you do. BTW, I will be shooting only deer with the bow this year.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM

Well, part of it has to do with the arrow shaft size and weight. Front of center ( foc ) of the arrow is partially dependant on the weight of the broadhead. The foc helps to determine how the arrow will fly. Check out the link I am providing. This should help you to understand. The section for F.O.C. is around the middle of the page. But feel free to read the whole article. You might find some more valuable information.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/arrow-selection-4.htm

This will explaain why you should choose a particular weight that will match the shaft and the set up of the arrow for optimal flight.

Good luck and good hunting

God bless

Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks MichaelT, Ive actually been waiting for your response! You always seem to have good advice whenever I need something. Thanks again. Thanks to everyone else too, it is all appreciated.
Brandon
Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Any time Brandon. Glad to help.

Good Hunting and God Bless