Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Low profile Hunting

Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Low profile Hunting

Who out there hunts with no calls, scents, etc!!

My main goal is for a mature buck not to know I am hunting him. I have wondered when you blow a grunt call or rattle how many deer are you spooking or giving away your position.

When you put outscents are you alerting a mature buck to your presents?

We all hear about the success using these tactics, but we will never know about our failures.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Low profile Hunting

good point germ. sometimes you never know. my mom thought it would be nice to buy me a DVD of Tom Mirandas bowhunting. one of the hunts he has a buck 150yds away or so..hits "the can" and the deer turns around and bolts. he turns to the camera and says something like "let me tell you! this mother BEEPER really works!!" didnt seem the deer had any other reason to turn and run away...

then again sometimes if you catch the right deer at the right time they will come in tripping over themselves drolling due to scents and calls..my fear with calls is calling and having one spot me that i cant see..and scents......i have no faith in them...next year ill be buying REAL deer urine from REAL live deer from a private farm..see if that dont work any better...
Old 11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't hunt with scents, did once, prolly never again.

I do however use calls. The last 4 bucks I've taken all came to the calls. After using calls for 20 years, I can honestly say I've never seen a buck that spooked to the calls. If your suttle, they either come to or ignore it. If you get obnoxious with a call, they may exit the area.

I will never go in the woods without at least 2 calls.

Rattling horns is another story. I take them, I rarely if ever use them. I've seen mature bucks ignore the calls and then run from the horns. I've never seen them run from the calls.

I've seen does spook on scents so I can only imagine what happens down wind of scents on deer I've never seen.

Calls, absolutley
Scents, Never
Rattling, very rarely.

That's my findings on the deer I hunt in PA. Other states vary greatly.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

That's my findings on the deer I hunt in PA. Other states vary greatly.
Last line is well said

IfI lived in Iowa or KansasI would be a rattling & calling SOB!!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Spike

This is such a great question in my mind. I have two thoughts.

When the right is not in high gear, the use of calls and scents may make more sense to catch a wary buck.

However, during the rut, I want to educate as few deer as possible, especially the does. I want the does around so if I am lucky enough to get ther bruiser crusing, he will have a higher chance coming ot my area. Also, if he somehow walks by out of shooting range, I do not want to alert him so he may come back.

I have used scents and calls often, but am beginning to wonder if it is best to be stealthy at all costs.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm leary of scents but use them during the rut. I've been having a lot of success with fake scrapes and scrape jell. It's been a magnet for passing deer. They see it and have to go over and check it out. It's becoming a favorite in my book.

Calls, I've used them for years but with little success. My friends swear by them. This morning I've decided I can burp a grunt better then a grunt call so I will try that next. If it works I'll be happy. My friend can do the alphabet in one burp. I would finally top him if I could bring in a monster buck with mine.