Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bowhunter...passin up a buck

Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new bowhunter...passin up a buck

I never regret waiting, and place a little more importance on being patient when bowhunting - it is like I have more respect for it.
Brocster:

That right there was well-said. I respect that a lot.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new bowhunter...passin up a buck

This is my 2nd year as well. I did shoot a 1.5 year old 6 ptlast year. I was just going for a doe but he came right to the call. I don't regret it since it was my first with a bow. I had one the same size come in about 25 yards on Saturday and I let him pass. I want a mature buck this year but I don't think I would have let this one pass if I hadn't of got one last year. I think we have to leave a little room in the beginning to build our confidence up. If you have land though that you are managing that's a whole different deal. Its up to you. If you know there are hardly any deer killed each year and you can take one without hurting it than go for it. I'll say this, I only have time to hunt a few Saturday mornings a year with a bow and hunt from the ground with no blind so it was hard to let this guy pass on Saturday but I think that's what its all about. We each live and learn and go at our own pace. If you have time, and land to hunt, and a tree stand or blind I personally would wait for a doe or bigger buck...all things have to be considered.