Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I shoot a doe this close to the rut????

Old 11-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Should I shoot a doe this close to the rut????

I would like to have everyone's opinion on shooting a doe at this point in the season, with the rut just around the corner. It seems as if I can not bring myself to shoot one now because I am always thinking "She could be the first doe to come into heat and lead that big buck by me". But in my hunting areas, I think I have to many does and would like to thin them down, not to mention I think the meat from a doe is a little better.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I shoot a doe this close to the rut????

I say shoot a doe if you need/want one, long as it's a legal shot it's a good shot in my book.. I shot a doe yesterday.. Now if you see a doe running through the woods looking behind her then you might want to just sit tight..
Old 11-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

This is a good question to bring up. I'll offer you this scenario. The last day of the Pa season 2 years ago, I was hunting for a doe, already had a buck. Well that morning turned out to be pure chaos in my neck of the woods, and I sat on stand all day and saw 13 bucks and lost track of how many does I saw. Never left the stand. Finally at 4 pm, a lone doe came in, feeding around, and I busted her. SHe ran 50 yards and piled up. Here's the interesting part: as she layed there in her final resting place, 4 other bucks, at4 separate times,strolled into that area to investigate her in the final hour of the season. I could of shot everyone of them. They wouldn't leave her ....and she didn't have a pulse!!

So in short, I'm no longer afraid to shoot a doe late in the season when the rut is on. But it has to be a perfect scenario for me. No other deer around, and if she's watching her back trail carefully, I wont shoot her. If she looks lonely, yea, I'll take her if I want.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best attractant going right now is doe..unless your area is over saturated with doe..I'd wait till after rut.

But thats justmy opinion and I already have one in the freezer.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I try and shoot does early on. If I haven't filled my buck tag, I stop shooting does a few days before halloween. If for some reason I don't have any deer this late into the season, I'd drill a doe that I felt was not being trailed by a buck.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would make sure that the doe is completely alone if you plan on shooting it. I try to shoot my does up until the middle of October and then around Thanksgiving i start shooting them again.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simple, If you want the meat shoot the doe.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like to shoot them this time of year, just to keep the disturbances to a minimum in the woods. I would hate to have to track one for a good distance, and walk all over the hunting area in the process. I take mine early, then hunt bucks!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I hate stinkin up MY best hunting spot by just walking to and from my stand! I wouldnt dream of shooting a doe and risk having to track her through their sanctuary.

THE BEST bait/lure/etc... we have during the rut is a doe.

Now....if shooting a buckholds no interest for you......then I say shoot whatever you want....whenever you want. I know I'm not messing with a nanny this time of year, though.

Jeff
Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kill the does early. Use 'em for decoys during the rut.

Quick Reply: Should I shoot a doe this close to the rut????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.