Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut vs. 60 Degrees????

Old 11-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rut vs. 60 Degrees????

What is everyones experience with hunting the rut during warm weather. I plan on hunting Thursday in Wisconsin and they are calling for the Sunny and 60. I've hunted the rut in warmer weather before and it hasn't been too bad, but not 60's. It is actually going to be in the 60's all week.

Makes me think that the bucks will move when the does move, and the does will probably bed most of the afteroon with warmer temps. Has anyone had any luck or experieces they can share that involve hunting the rut in warm temps.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Spike

Default RE: Rut vs. 60 Degrees????

Krojeman..

What part of Wisconsin are you hunting?

As far as your question, here is my two cents:

I do believe that elevated temps, relative to the norms for the region, do slow down deer sightings. HOWEVER, they still need to feed and drink, and, the rut tends to bring out the stupidity in bucks. I hunt in NW Wisconsin and have had temps all over the board. Up where we hunt, it is supposed to get to 60/61 until Wednesday, then start dropping. From past experience, I believe the deer will still move. It will be the absolute peak of the rut from a chase/seek standpoint, and bucks will be on the prowl. I think that does will hold a little more tight. You will see some very strong early morning activity, some hard mid day (11 - 1) and some ok night movement. Still, the rut is on and being in the woods no matter what the temps is your best option. The nights will still cool down, and, Thursday and Friday the temps are dropping again. Those two days could be dynamite.

I feel the best spots will be in tight timber where the does bed. Look for buck trails/funnels between bedding areas. You might not see as much doe movement as if the weather was cooler, but I bet you still have an excellent chance at catching that tesosterone charged buck.

Good luck to you sir!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that a heat wave coincides with the vacation time I take to hunt the rut every year. This week is supposed to be peak chasin' week, but our temps (includinging tomorrow's forecast RAIN) are supposed to be upper 60's to around 70. Last couple years have actually hit 80 a few times. The rut will happen regardless because the temps aren't what drives it. However, daytime movement will most certainly be depressed and the all-day action that can take place during the rut won't be as good as usual. I've had some looooooooonnggggg all day hunts in weather like this when virutally nothing moved except during the first and last 1/2 hour of light.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 AM

I think you'll be fine as far as the rut going on and deer moving. Although it was much colder, i was hunting north central wisconsin in the area of Hatley/wittenburg, and witnessed a nice 120 class eight point harassing 3 does that weren't ready yet later in the morning.Also, I'm now back home in SE WI, and have witnessed does and bucks moving throughout the day. I think they'll continue moving despite the increased temps.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 AM

The Bucks will be on the prowl and they're not going to allow the Does to just lay around all day. They'll jump the does. With all that runing around and warmer than normal temps, thirst may be a factor and a watering hole might not be a bad choice.

I'm setting up this week along a rub line I identified last year and left alone until now. It's near Doe Bedding and water.