Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stupidity cost me my first buck!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stupidity cost me my first buck!

I had an opportunity to get out and hunt today. And what a day it was. This is my first season hunting and only my second time out so far.

I went to some public land and got out late morning in an area that I was at a week ago. I took my blind and set up in an area that I noticed the week prior had a lot of deer signs. After spending several hours in the blind I decided that it was time for lunch and a change of location.

After a quick bite I headed to another area that I was at last week. This time I decided not to take the blind. I just set up a ground blind and hunted along the edge of the tree line facing a huge bedding area that had a corn field behind it. As I was setting up I truely expected any deer to enter the area from my left. I was positioned that I would have had a perfect shot with time to setup. I did not have much coverage to my right though. As sun down was approching I noticed a 6 point approaching from the right but he ducked into the corn. As I was listining to him I didn't even notice a huge 8 point come right up on me again from the right. I first noticed this monster when he was only 20 yards from me. With my bow sitting on my lap and me sitting in the open I was absolutly busted. This deer proceeded to walk up to 8 yards from me. We stared at each other for well over a minute before he ran off. Had I taken the time and set up my blind that deer would be in my freezer now. It was truely an experience I will never forget and definetly learned from. So next week it will be the same spot but sitting in a blind!

JFergus7
Old 11-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stupidity cost me my first buck!

Just a learning experience in what will hopefully be a long bow hunting career there JFergus. Good encounter though and I'll bet you'll do much better next time. Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

I know the feeling, I've made some bad choices this year that has cost me 2 very nice bucks!

What county are you hunting? I go out to Ogle county
Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any body that has Bowhunted for vere long has made a bad choice at one time or another, we learn from it! Also try never to make eye contact when caught like that, its a predator thing, cut your eyes to the ground, sometimes this works as long as thay dont smell you!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestion. Definetly a learring experience. And for only my second time ever hunting an experience that will never be forgotten!

JFergus7
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

This deer proceeded to walk up to 8 yards from me. We stared at each other for well over a minute
Pretty cool being that close to a deer on the ground, eh?
That'sa big thrill for me. I miss being that close and eye-to-eye since I took to the trees a few years ago. I see a lot more deer from up there, and can get away with more movement and being unaware of a close one, but I do miss being on their level with the challenge of narrow shooting lanes.

Good luck next week.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:29 PM

If I had a dollar for every bad decision I have made while hunting I would be rich. But then again it is the hunt itself that makes us rich. That is why they call it "hunting" and not "getting".

Don't worry about it one bit, just get back after them and know we all feel your pain.