Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good story for you guys that cannot find your deer

Old 11-05-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Good story for you guys that cannot find your deer

I had someone come to my house last week and told me that his brother had hit a buck with his bow the night before. They claimed that the shot was a bit foward near the shoulder and alot of the arrow was sticking out of this buck. They looked for an hour near the location of the shot to see if they could find any blood or hair. They did not find anything. So I went the next day with them to help and after reading alot of posts on this forum I decided to try a few different techniques. First I started a circle parrern, Then a grid pattern, then I went back to see if I could find the point of impact and any blood or hair. It was useless and I thought for sure this guy may have been mistaken and possibly missed the deer. Turns out they actually found the deer 100 yards from where we were looking dead with not a single drop of blood anywhere. Just goes to show how easy it is to give up when there is a good buck down just a few more yards from where you are looking.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good story for you guys that cannot find your deer

Good job Salty. Glad they found the deer. I've only ever lost one and it still bugs me every time I get ready to shoot!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good story salty, something very similiar this morning. A buddy of mine hit a doe last evening. He said they looked for hours and found only 2 drops of blood, very small drops as it turns out when I and my buddy Kurt went up this morning to help look. We looked for a few more hours and didn't come up with a single drop of blood beyond those 2 droplets he found the night before.

We had to leave and I asked Blaine to call me if he found anything. A couple hours later he called and said he found her. She went downhill and almost directly to where we walked in. We walked by her within a few yards several times. She layed under an apple tree that was very thick. He just "happened" to look at her while riding an atv to cover more ground. He said there was no blood from her back and he took her mid body, exit the shoulder, at least one lung, zero blood.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:50 AM

I am happy for the guy that found the buck. This story is insprational to me and if it helps 1 person find that buck they hit not so perfectly than it was worth my 5 minutes posting it. I will always remember this story if I happen to make any "less than desireable" shots in the future and it will keep me looking until I turn every leaf over in the woods.

Here I was telling the guy that we should start looking for the arrow in the weeds because it was obviously a clear miss....... no hair or blood!!!!! boy do I feel like a donkey's behind
Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 PM

This happend more often than one might think. I was with my brother when he shot a nice 4point in the shoulder with a 30-30. The buck ran off with a broken shoulder. I didn't find a single drop of blood until 5 foot before the buck dropped. The buck only went 50 yards over a hill and into a swamp. The only reason i found that deer is by gridding the swamp for a while. The key is never giving up.