Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Last 24 hours - What an experience!

Old 11-04-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Last 24 hours - What an experience!

I took my daughter out last night with me; she's five. It was her first time in a stand. I've taken her out about five or six times before but it's always been in a pop-up blind. So after figuring out how to get her in the treestand (the five-point safety harness I had her wear was perfect- I used the shoulder straps as a back pack and up we went), we got settled in. I told her that since she was in the tree and was so excited, we would shootthe first deer we see. It wasn't five minsbefore a little four point came in...I just couldn't do it!!! My daughter wasn't very happy but I tried my best to explain itto her. It wasn't 15 mins and two young does came in. We were in a starefor about 10mins and my daughter (MaKenzi) did awesome. Ikept whispering don't move.Finally the first one looked back at the second deer andI was able to draw. MaKenzi began saying "Shoot it dad..SHOOT IT"! Of course it was getting louder and louder and I'm at full draw trying to focus on this small deer and my daughteris pumped. Ilet the arrow fly and before I thinkit actually hit the deer, MaKenzi was already asking "Did you get it". I'll tell you what...I was so pumped up. Our first kill"together" - She was pretty proud and I don't think I've ever been so excited over such a small deer in my life. ONE OF LIFE'S GREATEST MOMENTS SHARING THAT FIRST SUCCESSFUL DEER HUNT WITH ONE OF YOURCHILDREN!!!

So, this morning I packed up for an all day hunt. I didn't evenhave my release on when the first little four point came thruchasing a doe...I knew it was going to be a good day.About 15 mins went by and the second a buck...a little eight point came thru. About 7:20 I did my first set of rattling, grunting and doe bleats. Not five mins later a six point come walking in acting studly. Then just as he wandered off out of site, I see another buck approaching from the east. I check it out thru my binos and immediately see palmation on the deer's right side. He's definitely tall enough, wide enough, and a big bodied deer...I grabbed my bow. Immediately drew and had to grunt three times before he finally stopped...dead broadside twenty yards. I let her fly and PERFECT...Right thru the boiler room. He took off like a bat out of hell and into the marsh he went. About 45 yards from where I shot him I heard a bunch of crashing and then nothing...DEER DOWN!!! Nice eight point with lots of mass (even some palmation), not real long tines, but a good all around deer. I will be posting some pics here in a little bit and then I gotta get him scored...If I was to guess right now, I'd say he will be right about 120.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Last 24 hours - What an experience!

That is a great story SUM I look forward to the day when I can share those experiences with my children! Keep up the good work on being a great father!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great day afield for you and your Daughter. Nice buck to. I remember taking my oldest son when was around five or six. He just turned 15 and is now my full time hunting buddy.
Dan
Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations.....

i dont see 120 at all maybe 100"
Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on thegreat buck!

The coolest part of that story has to be your daughter's excitement about getting to hunt with you and seeing deer within range. Getting close to them has always been the thrill for me. It's very cool that she got to see you take one.

Hunting takes on a whole new dimension when you involveyour ownchild, as I recently found out myself. Not much is ever going to beat having them get excited about something you love so much, and hearing that they are proud of your accomplishments.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome!! congrats!! nice buck too!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 PM

Great story dude looks like you have a great time with your daughter there great I do someof that with mi little 8 year old boy since he was 5 too and is great to have him with me on the blind or treestand, congrats man.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story, exciting experience for you and daughter, Congrats!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the story! I also had my first kill with my son this year(see "my four year old son and the six point buck" in this forum). It was an absolutely awesome hunt that I will cherish the rest of my life as you and MaKenzi will too. It is great that you takethe extra time and effort to take your daughter hunting and teach her about ourthe outoors. Keep up the good work and tell Makenzi- Good Job!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

Great story and congrats on the buck! Super to be able to share the hunting experience with your daughter! Will be a great memory for the two of you!

Quick Reply: Last 24 hours - What an experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.